Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cichlid with other fish ????

Is it of for my flower horn to be with a red tail golden arowana . . I got one female flower and one male . I got a peacock too. My fish guy said itís ok if they fish isnít small so the arowana could eat .

Old 03-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How big are both fish now? Also what size tank are they in?

Old 03-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post

Itís a 75 galloon . And Iím sure the male flower is 10 cm the female is about 8/9 cm and my peacock is I guess 7/8 inch . My arowana isnít here yet. Waiting for the order. My fish guy said it will take 2 weeks . The arowana will be 6 inch so 15 cm
Old 03-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:

My fish guy said 75 will be ok . But . MaI know arowana will grow 2/4 feet because of the size of the tank . ?? What do u think
Old 03-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With the arowana being that small they should be fine but do know that arowana will grow to massive sizes. At adult size it will probably be able to eat them with ease. Be ready to invest in a 150-300 gallon tank in the next year or 2 and over the next few years look to get and even larger tank. Arowana are not cheap pets. They honestly shouldn't be sold as such.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
With the arowana being that small they should be fine but do know that arowana will grow to massive sizes. At adult size it will probably be able to eat them with ease. Be ready to invest in a 150-300 gallon tank in the next year or 2 and over the next few years look to get and even larger tank. Arowana are not cheap pets. They honestly shouldn't be sold as such.

Thatís good . I just want my arowana to eat my Cichlid , I got a red tail golden arowana coming in 2/3 weeks . I think my arowana will stop growing in 1 feet and a half coz of the size of my tank .
Old 03-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Thatís good . I just want my arowana to eat my Cichlid , I got a red tail golden arowana coming in 2/3 weeks . I think my arowana will stop growing in 1 feet and a half coz of the size of my tank .

Thanks I just want to know . Canít wait for my arowana to come
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Fish don't just stop growing because of the tank size. Its stunted because of other factors regarding the tank and its not healthy. Stunted growth means shorter life and usually internal issues for the fish. Your fish that would live to 10 years in the wild will possibly only live for 2 or 3 in a stunted state. If you are going to keep fish then you need to keep them in healthy proper conditions for the entirety of their natural life. If you are new to aquariums then I don't recommend you going with an arowana as one of your first fish.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You did right by adding the arowana last as a juvie. But you need at least a 300 gallon tank IMO. 240g at bare minimum which is still an 8 foot tank. Yes you can keep large cichlids with an arowana. Larger catfish as well.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3357.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	312372 happy fishes

Tags
cichlid, fish, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com