Cichlids!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forgot- let's hear some reaction on undergravel filters and powerheads. Do you disturb and remove the detritus from the gravel when cleaning it?

Cichlids are excavators and UGFs are not the way to go.
Have you looked over the site I gave you? There are more than 5 cichlid species listed. Look that site over, decide if you want a Lake Tang tank and post the fish you would like to keep. Remember, this will be your tank. We encourage researching on this site. Once you have researched the fish you think you want to keep, post the list and members can give their opinions and experiences with those fish.

Wait - I am confused, do you want a SA, softer, acidic water tank or an African, harder water tank? You could go with kribensis, as they don't have particular requirements either way, and are riverine Africans. They will spawn for you pretty well if you provide some caves, maybe with a broken flower pot or two.

If you are going SA, then you could certainly go with the old standby, convicts. They stay relatively small and will spawn like crazy. These too have been tank bred for so long that I doubt you would have trouble with them no matter what kind of water you have. Yellow labs (labidochromis caeruleus) would be nice and they, too, have been tank bred for such a while now that if your LFS keep them without adjusting their water then you can, too. Ditto on the UGF - not necessary and another thing to maintain. Lots of folks still use them, but I gave them up years ago and never went back.

Slate is inert, and granite should be too, but you need to watch for heavy metals in rocks you collect, which would be evidenced by a red streak (iron) through it in any area on the rock. Round river rocks are generally inert, as well.

Menagerie, can you give me that site again? I looked at one it was all about shell-dwellers. I'm looking for some variety (without endangering my fish).

Here is another one (forgive me if Menagerie already gave it to you - too lazy to scroll back through the pages :oops: ) http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cichlidrecipe/crindx.htm

Scroll down to the very bottom and there is a chapter that lists African cichlids, with pics. Informative unless you are going New World :wink:

Do you still need more feedback about the UGFs or are you decided on it?

I've decided to probably not go with an undergravel filter and stick with a canister or HOB instead. I'm just concerned as to how to clean the gravel without scaring the crap out of the fish.

I've decided to probably not go with an undergravel filter and stick with a canister or HOB instead. I'm just concerned as to how to clean the gravel without scaring the crap out of the fish.

Buy a gravel vacuum and don't worry about the fish. Some fish chase the vac, some fish hide from it. As long as you don't chase the fish with the vac, you will be fine! (and so will the fish :wink:)

Back
Top Bottom