Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessl17 View Post
Thank you.. I only have 2 males as far as I know right now I had more but pulled them out as soon as they started changing and I saw signs. I take very good care of my tanks and my fish and while I know they could be in a larger tank like you said they can always be in a bigger tank but I also know a few people that have very successfully kept cichlids in a 30. I did a lot of research before setting up my tank so I have a crushed coral bottom and lots of hiding stones a few plants and driftwood, and a coconut shell. And though the pictures have my blue light on and Iím at work right now this is the setup I have as of the moment
Is it a 30g breeder? Looks long. Which is a good thing and as @kingfisher said you have enough hiding spots. Only thing I would do is break up the sight line. Even with my 6ft tank, I can't have any straight shots from one end to the other. I know when I have to move something cause I hear someone hitting the tank and ususlly it's from being chased straight into the glass. If you break it up multiple times, they weave in and out and have more of an opportunity to drop out of sight. IME they don't like swimming through plants. Now I've had a few like @Kingfisher said that where just SoB's and glass tops didn't stop them from darting at me let alone through a plant. It really does never end and is never boring owning Africans.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:45 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Temperament of any given fish usually plays a big role in chaos or calmness in a tank. Your tank has plenty of hiding spots. Might be you just have an SOB of a fish. Lol.
Almost every African I've had was the opposite of the "norm" My yellow Labs where a nightmare. A few of my Haps, I've never even seen chase let alone lip lock or swallow. Lol

Old 02-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lol yes I think you might be right there.. Iíve moved the rocks around a few different times now that Iíve noticed him being that way and he tries to claim them all. He will dart and chase anyone out that goes in them even the little one his big butt canít even get into... Iím going to watch him and if he keeps it up my friend can have him back. Originally I was supposed to get all females but I accidentally ended up with him and I thought it would be fine because at first it was but heís a jerk ..
Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #24

Mine don’t seem to mind the plants honestly a few of them stay in the bigger one most of the day right under the filter.. it’s weird.. and the bug guy doesn’t care where he darts to. I just rearranged it last night to see if this set up would help but he doesn’t seemed phased by anything I do... he wants to claim it all
Old 03-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #25

So Iím starting to worrie a bit I. Finished the meds put the carbon back in and did a water change and there still rubbing up against everything. I did end up taking the big guy I had out and bringing him back to my friend that gave him to me because he was just way to much so in general the fish are happier but I noticed this on this guy. So something is off.. any ideas as to what this is from?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71A3E09D-1449-4510-A316-B3C48645AE47.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	307563   Click image for larger version

Name:	90BEDCCC-226D-41BE-85F6-2C3B5F8D5187.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	307564  

Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you sure the water chemistry isn't the problem. Just trace amounts of ammonia can irritate gills, which might cause flashing.
The problem is not Oodinium, death would already have occurred. Ick would be noticable. The only other parasite I can think of is Flukes. Maybe the meds used weren't dosed in sufficient amounts to do the job, or wasn't the correct chemical.
The best parasite meds i've used are Coppersafe and Formalin. Coppersafe is the easiest to use; one dose. Formalin requires continuous dosing.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #27

I just tested the water again and I am reading a small amount of ammonia but nothing crazy. It looks a little darker in the picture than it actually is. But other than that I donít see anything off. The only thing I was wondering and I donít know if it would cause them to do this is I donít have a test for kh or gh and I was reading that could possibly cause it? I ordered one but it hasnít arrived yet. What are your thoughts on that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31BA9D51-93F1-4B34-9698-A676EE500013.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	307570   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A935A72-C309-4236-B523-35127597C1A3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	307571  

Old 03-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular

She's definetly stressed. Was she the main target for the male you removed? Because I've had females and males that when I seperated them or changed something in the tank get stressed. When I first started keeping Africans, I figured out that what I thought was to much aggression, sometimes was not and was just how the mated. So she definetly could be confused by the new dynamic in the tank. If so, it will pass.
How often do you do water changes? Maintenance goes way up the smaller the tank. I was doing almost 50% every 3/4 days. The more hiding spots, the more places waste has places to hide also.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessl17 View Post
I just tested the water again and I am reading a small amount of ammonia but nothing crazy. It looks a little darker in the picture than it actually is. But other than that I donít see anything off. The only thing I was wondering and I donít know if it would cause them to do this is I donít have a test for kh or gh and I was reading that could possibly cause it? I ordered one but it hasnít arrived yet. What are your thoughts on that?
I've never tested for them, IMO if you where seeing drops in PH then yes but stable PH is better than fooling around with getting the exact PH they need. Once you start fooling around with those, it's a whole dif ball game. I would do a dose of Prime and Stressgaurd if you have it
Maybe someone could confirm but looks like you might be in a mini cycle also
Old 03-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Are you sure the water chemistry isn't the problem. Just trace amounts of ammonia can irritate gills, which might cause flashing.
The problem is not Oodinium, death would already have occurred. Ick would be noticable. The only other parasite I can think of is Flukes. Maybe the meds used weren't dosed in sufficient amounts to do the job, or wasn't the correct chemical.
The best parasite meds i've used are Coppersafe and Formalin. Coppersafe is the easiest to use; one dose. Formalin requires continuous dosing.
Could be flukes. Which if you can take a very clear picture of her with a macro setting, you can actually see them. I've done it before and treated with Prazi. The next day, they were falling of and pooping worms. It worked but it was gross.

Tags
ich, cichlids, cichlid, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com