Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

cichlids acting weird

in our 55 gallon tank several of our fish are acting strange. its like their all matting on each other? randomly rub themselves on the gravel. they appear healthy and eating well. i have a 6 inch yellow and 3 inch yellow lab that are circling each other, and have spotted the yellow lab doing something the yellow tails stomach? 2 of my convicts, bumping lips together. they back up and swim into each other face again? anyone have any thoughts? theirs more weird things then besides just that. im just lost for words.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Sounds like they're exibiting expected behavior for those fish. The labs sound like they're breeding... doing quick shaking (almost siezure like?), circling stomach up at each other, flashing against the gravel. Lip-locking is fighting generally, so it would seem that your two convicts aren't getting along. Convicts and labs aren't generally great tankmates either.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

they have always been rather well behaved you could say. we have has 2 different convicts hatch and raise fry in this tank with they other cichlids. just wondering.... if i have some that are breeding.... can crossbreeding accrue easy? or will they stick with there own kind? i only ask bc my kenyi, yellow tails, yellow lab and jewels have been playing this weird circle motion with each other. they yellow tail kind lays side ways shacking like and turning, and the other fish are following and going at its belly area. and then when the yellow tail is down, all the fish go to the gravel and rub, do fish "breed""mate" at the same time? does it vary between kinds of cichlids?

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, weir, weird

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com