cichlids acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnmichx6

Aquarium Advice Regular
in our 55 gallon tank several of our fish are acting strange. its like their all matting on each other? randomly rub themselves on the gravel. they appear healthy and eating well. i have a 6 inch yellow and 3 inch yellow lab that are circling each other, and have spotted the yellow lab doing something the yellow tails stomach? 2 of my convicts, bumping lips together. they back up and swim into each other face again? anyone have any thoughts? theirs more weird things then besides just that. im just lost for words. :banghead:

Sounds like they're exibiting expected behavior for those fish. The labs sound like they're breeding... doing quick shaking (almost siezure like?), circling stomach up at each other, flashing against the gravel. Lip-locking is fighting generally, so it would seem that your two convicts aren't getting along. Convicts and labs aren't generally great tankmates either.

they have always been rather well behaved you could say. we have has 2 different convicts hatch and raise fry in this tank with they other cichlids. just wondering.... if i have some that are breeding.... can crossbreeding accrue easy? or will they stick with there own kind? i only ask bc my kenyi, yellow tails, yellow lab and jewels have been playing this weird circle motion with each other. they yellow tail kind lays side ways shacking like and turning, and the other fish are following and going at its belly area. and then when the yellow tail is down, all the fish go to the gravel and rub, do fish "breed""mate" at the same time? does it vary between kinds of cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom