Cichlids and sharks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkdubs2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have my albino rainbow shark that has gotten far too aggressive recently so I had to move him to a 10g by himself which is no place for him to live and be happy. He is about 4 or 4.5 inches and prolly 2 or 3 years old. Would he be ok if I gave him to my sister who has a 55g with African cichlids? Their sizes range from 2 inches to 5 with most being about 3 to 4inches and 5 inches is the biggest one and she rearranges her tank frequently and there are plenty of hiding spots. I was curious because I really don't want to give him to petco and he get a bad home to live in. What is your opinions? I'm not too experienced with cichlids but I know ppl have mixed successfully before.

It may work but in my case it didn't .I know people do keep them with africans but the shark I added dissappeared and I havent seen it since.I can only assume it was eaten :(

I'm gearing up to start an African tank including my rts and I haven't got a definitive answers if it would work or not. It really depends on the fish. Some times it works and other times it doesn't. I think there is more of a risk introducing him to an established tank because the cichlids all have their territories.

Sorry about your shark garfy. That is not encouraging.
And ya I actually read part of ur thread mumma but since her tank was established I didn't know if there would be different answers. As I said tho my sister rearranges her tank all the time and I'll prolly make sure she is doing a rearrangement before I introduce the shark if that's what I decide to do. I just don't want him to be stuck in poor living conditions is all and I know he will if I give him to the petco by where I live just because of personal experience of this particular store and it's the only place close that will take donated fish so it's a definate catch 22.

It partly depends on What Africans she has. Yellow Labs can be somewhat ok for Africans. If they have Mbunas or something bigger and nastier the Shark will be toast. It all depends on the tank and the individual fish. I wouldn't recommend it. Take him to a store and let him go to a large semi-aggressive tank with Barbs or fish that won't kill him.

Coursair said:
It partly depends on What Africans she has. Yellow Labs can be somewhat ok for Africans. If they have Mbunas or something bigger and nastier the Shark will be toast. It all depends on the tank and the individual fish. I wouldn't recommend it. Take him to a store and let him go to a large semi-aggressive tank with Barbs or fish that won't kill him.

Ok I'll keep this in mind and try to figure out what kind she has. I think she might have mbunas tho not sure. I'll find out.

+1 on re-homing him.

The problem that you could face is, regardless of re-arranging the tank often, this is still an established tank, and the shark would be a newby! Maybe if the shark was the first fish in the tank, I would say you would have a better chance. I re-arrange my tank when doing a detailed clean and vac once in a while. And I only re-arrange coz I can never remember where everything went! Lol any way it is at this point that mine are most aggressive as they are all fighting to establish new territory. If that makes sense.

It would be a real shame to have had this fish , watch it grow to see it torn to pieces by cichlids. Better to go to a safe home IMO . :-(

Yes it might work but is it not cruel and unfair to take the chance? But it's your choice.

Ukdans1k said:
+1 on re-homing him.

The problem that you could face is, regardless of re-arranging the tank often, this is still an established tank, and the shark would be a newby! Maybe if the shark was the first fish in the tank, I would say you would have a better chance. I re-arrange my tank when doing a detailed clean and vac once in a while. And I only re-arrange coz I can never remember where everything went! Lol any way it is at this point that mine are most aggressive as they are all fighting to establish new territory. If that makes sense.

It would be a real shame to have had this fish , watch it grow to see it torn to pieces by cichlids. Better to go to a safe home IMO . :-(

Yes it might work but is it not cruel and unfair to take the chance? But it's your choice.

Good points everyone. I'll let u know what I decide. More than likely I'll Craigslist it I guess.

Ok. So I decided to try and put the shark in with the cichlids under a supervised visit lol. I watched the cichlids and the shark for two and one half hours cuz I wanted to make sure he was safe. Results so far... The shark has already set up a territory in the back right corner of the tank. He stole this territory from another cichlid. The cichlid tried time and time again to take it back. The cichlid is probably the second biggest in the tank that he stole it from. The shark has ran the cichlid off every time. The cichlid is no longer messing with him. Nor are the others. The only cichlid that will try to "nip" (same way they do other cichlids) at the shark is the dominant one in the tank. The shark scares this one off every time too. I told you this was a really aggressive shark right? So those are the results so far. These are mbunas btw I found out. They have not harmed the shark in any way so far. Will continue to vigilantly monitor tho for the night. When I go to bed I'll put the shark in a in-tank cage so I know he's safe overnight until I can feel comfortable.
So what are your opinions on the situation?

It depends on the aggression level of our fish, but what I've found with the problem of this fish is fine in my tank but it died in the other persons tank. (If you get why I mean)

Sorry, accidents posted without finishing. In my opinions throughout out my years of fish keeping. The size of that tank affects it as the as the other fish, how many cichlids does our sister have? If there aren't that many in apt he 55 gallon I would try it, but I've seen dozens of sharks with cichlids. Keep in mind these were 75+ gallon tanks though.

Hannibal the Bichir said:
Sorry, accidents posted without finishing. In my opinions throughout out my years of fish keeping. The size of that tank affects it as the as the other fish, how many cichlids does our sister have? If there aren't that many in apt he 55 gallon I would try it, but I've seen dozens of sharks with cichlids. Keep in mind these were 75+ gallon tanks though.

Ok thanks for the advice I'll keep an eye on the situation.

I've seen some weird combinations, someday maybe I'll see a goldfish with a piranha. I've already see it with an Oscar. Fish might have personalities.

Hannibal the Bichir said:
I've seen some weird combinations, someday maybe I'll see a goldfish with a piranha. I've already see it with an Oscar. Fish might have personalities.

Oh they definitely do have personalities.

Back
Top Bottom