Cichlids and tiger barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank set up and I have a ten gallon with 5 tiger barbs now they were tiny when I got them so they were ok in the 10 but as of late they need more room so my question is can I add them to the cichlid tank without worry or do you think they would have issues

If your just saying mixed africans. Imo barbs would be food or stressed to death within two weeks.

I have 3 barbs in my 75g with mixed African for few months now without any problem.
Some of the fish include peacocks, afra cobue, hongi and yellow labs.
They mainly just chase after themselves and the Africans don't seem to bother them at all.

I must say its not natural but I got them when I bought the Africans from a guy. He originally put the barbs in as back up food before going on a trip but they survived!

They provide quite a lot of activities in the tank with their constant chasing.

I have a 75 gallon mixed African tank. Mbuna's, peacocks etc. I had 8 tiger barbs for probably 12 hours no joke. Didn't make the night. My misfits tore them up!! I was taking out parts for hours after the frenzy calmed down. No way was I putting my hand in there. My guys are tough! Ate 2 eels too!!

Well all my cichlids are only about 2 inches as well as the barbs so I'm hoping they make it in my research it's kind of hit or miss so wish me luck if I leave them in the 10 they are as good as dead anyways.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Well all my cichlids are only about 2 inches as well as the barbs so I'm hoping they make it in my research it's kind of hit or miss so wish me luck if I leave them in the 10 they are as good as dead anyways.

Good luck!

I swear my misfits carry...

So far so good everyone seems to be getting along its been a few days now do I hope they all stay this docile.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
So far so good everyone seems to be getting along its been a few days now do I hope they all stay this docile.

It won't last.Sorry to be negative but the barbs are virtually defenceless against the territorial cichlids.Sooner or later they will be toast.

garfy said:
It won't last.Sorry to be negative but the barbs are virtually defenceless against the territorial cichlids.Sooner or later they will be toast.

Agreed, like I said before I tried it and try ended up being appetizers. They didn't last the night. Sooner or later and I'm betting sooner, just like garfy stated.... there gonna be toast....

they might just become expensive appetizer lol
My 3 barbs still going strong but will let you guys know as well if things start to change.

What sort of Africans do you have blasemrniceguy?

I have 3 labs 2 Johanni a pseudotropheus a small albino not sure what he is and 2 small blue guys that kind of look like convicts but obviously aren't. I have only had the time to ID a few of them.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I have 3 labs 2 Johanni a pseudotropheus a small albino not sure what he is and 2 small blue guys that kind of look like convicts but obviously aren't. I have only had the time to ID a few of them.

If you post pictures of your fish the members here will be only too happy to ID them for you :)

I know that's how I got the other ones ID'd lol just haven't had the time to get good pictures of the rest.

I have a 56 gallon tank with a gourami, 3 zebra danios, 3 tiger barbs, 1 jewel and a yellow lab. They've been together for almost a year now and I've had no deaths. The jewel and lab pick on eachother sometimes but for the most part leave the other fish alone.

Back
Top Bottom