Cichlids around 20-25cm ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

outback kid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what are some cichlids that only grow to about 20-25cm that will go with bristlenose cat fish. Tanks 45 gallons good filtration in it. I want a nice cichlids to be the center piece in my tank.

There's hundreds of species in that range 20cm is about 8 inches.
Most common cichlids are 3-6 inches. Haps and South Americans are 6-10 inches and larger. For a 45 gallon I would look at Mbuna (Psuedotropheus, labidochromis, cynotilapia) or Aulonocara.

That wasn't clear, sorry. A 20-25 cm Cichlid is too big for a 45 gallon. Mbuna and aulonocara would be better. (10-15cm)

Yeah it would be the only fish besides the 2 BN I have in there. I would have thought 7inch would be alright. Yeah no worries thanks. Jack Dempsey be ok or no ?

I would not do a Jack Dempsey. It would do fine for a while. But ultimately it would get too big for the tank and be miserable.

Some larger cichlids that would be a good centerpiece.

Electric Blue Haplochromis
Otter point Peacock
Lethrinops intermedius
Or Nimbochromis Fuscotaneatus (gets 9") but is slender enough it could be ok. It would be a gamble)

For a 45 I would check out Auloncara (peacocks) as a centerpiece fish. They come in tons and tons of colors and are gorgeous.

I wouldn't get mbuna unless your expirenced. Get eletric blue jack Dempsey. Butterfly peacock. Strawberry peacock. And a solcofi cichlid

Back
Top Bottom