Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

cichlids breeding

so i have a 26 gallon bowfront thats been up and running for almost 2 months. i noticed my yellow lab's
mouth is larger than normal. after doing some research i can see shes holding eggs in her mouth. this is my first experience with cichlids, and i dont know what to do. should i not do anything? let her be? i was reading about stripping her? i dont have an extra tank to put her in, my small apartment wont allow it. please help!

lexi 🐟🐠

Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

At the end of the day, it is your choice. You can leave her be and see what happens. You can strip her of the eggs (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...awi%20cichlids) and raise fry, but that would require another tank as well. What is the 26 stocked with?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i have the yellow lab, a kenyi, a demasoni, a jack dempsey, a venustus, a mixed cichlid im not too sure what kind he is, and a hap.

lexi 🐟🐠
Old 10-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you want to keep the baby's then make sure that they have a place to hide when the mom spits out the fry, like some plants if you do that some should make it I had a my kenyi give fry in the same with my other Africans tand 5 lived and I gave 2 away and a few weeks later the other 3 are swimming around like they own the place

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Mudfrog
My Severums spawn roughly every 2 weeks or so. I let my catfish take care of the fry, free feeders

40g Breeder - Fluval 306 - HW402B - Grow Out Tank - Clown Loaches - Leopard Leaf Fish
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexistayla View Post
i have the yellow lab, a kenyi, a demasoni, a jack dempsey, a venustus, a mixed cichlid im not too sure what kind he is, and a hap.

lexi 🐟🐠
None of those fish are suitable for a 26 gallon tank. You'd need a 75 minimum just for the Africans even w/out the venustus, and another for the Jack Dempsey.

Tags
breed, breeding, cichlid, cichlids, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com