Cichlids dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epaulette Shark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i have not been on here in a while but I need an answer that i have not been able to find so there for i am asking for help. I have had a couple of my cichlids die in the past couple weeks. they have been yellow labs, kenny, cobalts. they show no signs of being sick (as in spots, bloating, major discoloration.)
here is my problem.
1. over a piriod of a few days they start lossing color and
2. they switch from using the left to right fins. like it has become paralized.
3. they start swimming a little more nose high as the days go by.
4. they swim / flote around for a few hours straight up and down and or up side down
5. they are dead.

1. water levels and temp is fine
2. moved my tank 3 months ago (this just started a couple weeks ago)
3. feeding has not changed in years.

any help and i would be greatly thankful

yes water test all show good.

never said any thing about swiming up and down.

"3. they start swimming a little more nose high as the days go by.
4. they swim / flote around for a few hours straight up and down and or up side down"

like i said...
Any Help Here Would Be Great....

Anything that you can think of that changed in the tank? Added fish, decor, plants, stirred up the substrate, new dechlorinator, new food, filter, kids visiting that could have put something in the tank, exterminators spraying outside, temperature change, jealous girlfriend (just thought I would throw that one in there)....etc...??? Happening that fast seems like a poisoning of some sort. Very strange.

what are you water parameters? you say theyre fine, what are they? ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, temp... what substrate are you using and how deep? is the temp consistant? lots of variables that could result in something like that, i would agree with spoon had i not been through something similar recently with NO changes in anything...(not disagreeing by any means though)

i am using sand 2-3" deep in a 150G Standerd, cascade canisters (1) 1000 (1) 1500, temp stays the same and nothing has changed..

ok so i think i have found my problem. I have been testing my water parameters once a week. i have just retested my levels again. every thing is ok... well almost..... PH level is running about 6.8-7.0 it has never shown that low sence i moved. so it has gone down some how...

I added 2 new fish when i moved. but both of them are ok. they also spent a month in the QT... (1) Male (1) Female Red Emperorise

so if it is some thing the fish brought in what could it be?
I need to up my PH but slowly.. If i can do it with out adding chimicles then that is the way I want to do it...

Ph being that low wont kill them if theyre acclimated properly and it isnt going up and down. If it stays a steady 7.0, they'll be fine. Its been said that cichlids prefer 7.4-8.2, but as long as its steady, 6.8-7.0 is fine. Now if the lfs keeps their ph higher than that and the fish arent properly acclimated, it could kill them. If youre adding water to the bag as you acclimate them, then that shouldnt be a problem. You can get some limestone or crushed coral as a buffer, but any time you start messing with your ph, youre asking for alot of monitoring. All of my tanks run a steady 7.8, every fish i have or have had, from cichlids to gouramis, to guppies, mollies, bala sharks, crabs, and shrimp.

i still do not know what to do about this problem.. I have another yellow lab doing it now. only using one front fin and tail fin and she is using her right side. she is also hovering next to my filter intake. in nose up stance. and I mean she is streight up and down.
I have been through a lot of list of things. I can not find any thing that matches....

what can I do?

So, that's your ph level, but what about ammonia??? What is your maintenance schedule? How many and how much partial water changes do you do? You talk about adding fish and moving three months ago??? If you let a tank go without changing the water and your tap water is almost a ph of 8, and the tank's below 7, it could very well be that your tank has gone acidic from all the ammonia/urea in the water. This will lower your total dissolved solids, meaning not just your ph is affected but your alkalinity as well.

It's not ph swings that kill fish, but rapid total dissolved solid, or TDS fluctuations, leading to a pressure change on the fishes body. Or it could be ammonia poisoning for all I know. We need more test readings.

If the scenario I described is the case, what usually happens is people panic and do large water changes... This is even worse for the fishes body.

You need to start with SMALL, frequent (like every other day, every day) water changes and bring it up slowwwwly over a week... Then, you need to do those water changes once every two weeks, not monthly.

All levels are good. PH was low.
I have done 1/4 water change once a week sence i set it up.

I am NOT new at keeping fish aquariums. this one i have been talking about has been set up now for around 5 years. I have just never had this problem before. I am really leaning towards a fish disease. I am think my male red Emp. brought it in to the tank. he has always kept to his own, except when he was breading a couple weeks ago... he looks health but does not swim actively like the majority of my fish.

still no other changes in the fish tank.

my yellow lab is completely nose up with its belly sucked to the intake of my filter..! it has been doing this for the past 2-3 days... it swims off and goes right back!?!?!?!?!?!?

THIS IS VERY ODD TO ME!!!

it seems like theres a plague going around with cichlids.every bodys cichlids are sick or have died already

I wonder whats going on then...

I have never had any problems with the well known fish shop I buy from in St. Louis Mo. I am still not sure if it is some thing that one fish brought in.

as of right now it seems to be my best guess..

its weird tho aq1s yellow lab died yesterday ur cichlids r sick, a few weeks ago mfd lost like 16 fish,dhemps cichlids are sick to

wierd huh..i've treated my entire setup with fungus clear...everyone is perky and active as of right now..lol......i'm adding to kenyi to my 125 today wish me luck...i'm going to qt them in that tank...its fully cycled just has a breeding pair of firemouths..they should be fine...my obli. hap is doing rather well he was being bullied in my 55 i qt him in the 125 hes the pretties fish i have..just happy...lol..and the firemouths dont bother him

I don't know about DHemp, but you other guys with dying fish are all kind of located near each other geographically, IL and KY if I am not mistaken. Coincidence, probably, but strange...

Back
Top Bottom