Cichlids for a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. I was just implying that I would need to get new fish if the residents died due to old age. Is there any other fish I can keep in the pond? I really would like to combine malawi with Tang cichlids.

The only tanganyikan cichlids I have with my malawi's are Julidochromis dickfeldi they are rock dwellers and seem to thrive in my tank.I have a reasonable size rock pile and the Julie's hold their own very well indeed.
I've tried frontosa but they are just too shy and gentle for the boisterous mbuna.

Yeah sure.How big is the pond and how accurately can you control the temp?

Because frontosa get to 14" in length.Big fish

Last edited by a moderator:
A frontosa should do totally fine, just watch the sun. The temp can get pretty high and so can algae build up with direct sunlight. If you keep it clean and at the right temp and care for it just as you would a tank, you should be golden. Try to find a cover for it or something for when it rains, that can screw up a lot too

Are these fish jumpers? I want a large fish like the frontosa or oscar, or a community pond.

bettaowner said:
Are these fish jumpers? I want a large fish like the frontosa or oscar, or a community pond.

I wouldnt mix an oscar with a frontosa. But they usually arent jumpers. And also south american cichlids would probably be easier to maintain in a pond than african. Thats just my opinion. But with south americans, you are more limited with how many fish you can keep in the pond.

Frontosas can be jumpers. I saw a breeder who kept the pond covered because the frontosa jumped.

Lady_Alia said:
Frontosas can be jumpers. I saw a breeder who kept the pond covered because the frontosa jumped.

Thats actually kinda funny. Never seen one jump, ever. Every indivisual is different i suppose. Try to find calm ones :)

I didn't plan on keeping the frontosa with the oscar. I was planning to keep the oscar or the frontosa. Big dilemma.

Really? I went to disney Animal Kingdom and they had a nice mbuna pond. If I do go for a large single cichlid, should I go with the oscar or frontosa?

Thats just my opinion that i stated above. But regaurdless i would probably get the oscar, you could probably put 2 oscars in there. They are also fun to feed they eat everything!

This is a 60 gallon pond right? I don't know much about ponds but 60 gallons seems pretty small for two oscars.

Bio load isn't exactly the issue, it's the size of the fish. Oscar are quite large and typically require 100 gallons for the first individual and another 50-75 for each one after. This is just not ideal for an Oscar IMO

Once again, this is only a 60 gallon pond...the north American record for channel catfish weighed in at 58 lbs. they grow quite large.

Back
Top Bottom