Cichlids in a 25 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limemittens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The hubby and I just bought a 25 gal Ecplise aquarium last night with everything loaded in the hood. We are interested in maybe trying some cichlids, but several sites that I have looked have a wide variety of tank recommendations. We are experienced with saltwater, but haven't done freshwater in several years. Had some in a 15 gal in college but never really took good care of the tank. Want to get started right this time after learning expensively through our saltwater experiences.

Would cichlids do well in a 25 gal? If so, how many are recommended? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for something more advanced that just the average goldfish, tetras, danios, etc.

Thanks so much!

Angels are another cichlid that would but you'd probably only want a pair of them.

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. After some additional research from what everyone had on here, we decided to go with a combo of 2 gold rams, 2 blue apistos, and 2 small angels. Added some plants and drift wood for hiding and everything is looking pretty good. Will post some pictures soon when everyone gets settled in their new home.

-J

The tank isn't cycled and you aren't putting the fish in a different tank for the time being are you? I'm assuming NOT, so you will want to add a LOT of plants, especially fast growing ones to soak up nitrates. If you can't do that then you may need to add Prime to neutralize the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Buy yourself a master test kit. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a good one and that is what most people use. You are also going to have to keep up on water changes. If you don't do water changes regularly (about 7 gallons every other day until your tank is cycled) your fish will live short lives. The rams will be the first to go and to show signs of bad water no doubt. Keep an eye on everyone and do what I suggested and you/the fish will be fine.

Yeah, we kind of figured there was a cycle period but could not find solid times on cycling for freshwaters. Read everything from 24 hours to 4 weeks. (Have 90 gal salt so we are more familiar with that process). The tank was up and running without fish for about 4 days, but didn't add food or anything to get the cycle started. Planning to do the water changes as you suggested and already had the Master Testkit in hand to watch daily for the next several weeks. Figured we jumped the gun, but the hubby wanted to get some fish. Just a little more work and patience for the next few weeks until we are in the clear with the cycle.

There's lots of cycling information on this site and articles as well. You may be looking at a 6+ week cycle because you may need to do PWC daily. The fish you stocked with are not hardy and may succumb to fluctuating water parameters.

Okay..now I am feeling really bad and I should have known better after being a saltwater aquarist for the last 4 years. (slaps forehead) That impatience thing gets you in trouble every time :(. Had freshies back about 10 years ago but was in college and pretty careless. Never cycled (didn't even know about that then) but some how the fish always made it (probably due to hardiness). Going to keep a close eye and do PWC as needed and pray these little guys make it. Cross your fingers.... or fins.

You'll be ok, I did the same thing when I started out a few years ago, and after I realized what I had done, I felt so bad that I kept a constant eye on the tank. After a few months everything was beautiful in the tank.

Just do exactly what bs6749 said and you'll be just fine.

If you have the chance see if any of you're LFS sell Bio-Spira or Tetra Safe Start. REFRIGERATED ONLY (Not sure if I spelled that right lol). It's bacteria in a bottle and will help cycle you're tank in a matter of days. I used the product and vouch for it. These are the only two products that work so don't waste you're time with any other product that claims to build bacteria or help cycle you're tank.

I will also vouch for Bio-Spira --- doctor's foster and smith sells it, but you have you pay for overnight shipping so its kinda expensive. (They actually replaced mine and shipped me a new batch for free because UPS waited ofrever to deliver it)

Should've mentioned this product before.. works great.

Back
Top Bottom