Cichlids in a 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenyJenz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

Currently cycling and wanted to get african cichlids when water is ready. This is my first tank so I need LOTS of advice!

1.Wanted to know how many will fit comfortably in my 75 gallon?
2. What about if I add a Jack Dempsey? How about two?
3. What about if I add a Jack Dempsey and a bottom feeder like a synodontis?

Also, here is my tank at its current stage....will be adding rocks to create holes/ caves. Prob more real plants and a bubble curtain. Should I get a powerhead for them?

Thanks again,

~JenyJenz

image-2795108642.jpg

In response to question #1, it depends on the type of african cichlids (that's a very diverse group there).

Assuming the african cichlids are mbuna's you could go with 15-20, give or take. A synodontis catfish would work as well.

im currently researching for the same kind of tank (75 gallon African cichlids) and found African Cichlids: Welcome to The Cichlid Recipe to have some good information, they go over how to care for cichlids, diffrent types of african cichlids, as well as give a few examples of different stocking options for different sized tanks.

kay-bee19 said:
In response to question #1, it depends on the type of african cichlids (that's a very diverse group there).

Assuming the african cichlids are mbuna's you could go with 15-20, give or take. A synodontis catfish would work as well.

Wow! I like the sound of that

pixelfinger said:
im currently researching for the same kind of tank (75 gallon African cichlids) and found African Cichlids: Welcome to The Cichlid Recipe to have some good information, they go over how to care for cichlids, diffrent types of african cichlids, as well as give a few examples of different stocking options for different sized tanks.

Thx ill check it out

Back
Top Bottom