Cichlids in distress!!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not sure what happened. They were fine a few hours ago! Ate and everything. Came out for a drink and saw this!! Tested water everything was fine except pH. 6.0!!!

Emergency water change, a little buffer not much and salt. Hope they pull through. And I plugged the air pump back in.

Wow, watched your video and that looks terrible : / can't believe all that happened so quickly... Any chance of any foreign chemicals being added or aerosol spray in the house?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Been on the phone with Andy and we got it figured out. They must have changed something at the water plant. Tap use to be 7.6-7.8 no problem. Now right outta tap its 6.0!!!

I did a water change and I'm slowly slowly gonna bring it up.

Last edited:
Wow, watched your video and that looks terrible : / can't believe all that happened so quickly... Any chance of any foreign chemicals being added or aerosol spray in the house?

Haven't used anything, nothing changed other then the tap water pH.

I had to run, literally run to the firehouse because as I was doing the water change I realized I didn't have anymore Prime!! My order is arriving tomorrow. So.... Running in shorts and a t shirt to the FD.

We have a big bottle of API Stress Coat. Is that ok?!? That's all I had to use. Hope that's ok. Better then nothing I assume.

Man.... What a night whew!!

I babysat the tank all night. Didn't sleep. pH is now 7.0. I'm going to add another very small amount of buffer and I guess the crushed coral is doing its job. I'm expecting it rise more during the course of the day while I'm working.

By small amount I'm going to add one tablespoon and then let the CC do the rest hopefully.

They are all out and about from what I can see since its lights out but everyone looks to be in there normal state.

Lesson learned for me:

Check tap water every now and then to see of there are any changes and after a while replace old CC with a fresh batch.

I babysat the tank all night. Didn't sleep. pH is now 7.0. I'm going to add another very small amount of buffer and I guess the crushed coral is doing its job. I'm expecting it rise more during the course of the day while I'm working.

By small amount I'm going to add one tablespoon and then let the CC do the rest hopefully.

They are all out and about from what I can see since its lights out but everyone looks to be in there normal state.

Lesson learned for me:

Check tap water every now and then to see of there are any changes and after a while replace old CC with a fresh batch.

Wow, video made me sad!! Poor fish...good detective work by the way. Glad you got it sorted so quick!! Hope they all recover from the shock, sounds like you got it in time :)

Wow, video made me sad!! Poor fish...good detective work by the way. Glad you got it sorted so quick!! Hope they all recover from the shock, sounds like you got it in time :)

Yeah looks like I got it quick!! Andy was a HUGE help!! I felt bad, I texted Jim about 100x's and he was working.

But yeah looks like the worst is over. I don't see any casualties.

Man that was stressful!!!

Notice you got a lot of bubbles going on in that tank. I'm guessing someone came out swinging for round two? Lol

Notice you got a lot of bubbles going on in that tank. I'm guessing someone came out swinging for round two? Lol

LOL!! I wasn't sure what the problems was at first I thought maybe lack of oxygen so I plugged the air stone back in. Didn't help, started testing. And there it was. 6.0

But now I'm not sure what to say cause I told her the pump burnt out. Now I had to be like oh wow!! That's a surprise!!

:(

LOL!! I wasn't sure what the problems was at first I thought maybe lack of oxygen so I plugged the air stone back in. Didn't help, started testing. And there it was. 6.0

But now I'm not sure what to say cause I told her the pump burnt out. Now I had to be like oh wow!! That's a surprise!!

:(

"Uhhh look Honey, I fixed it."

Glad everything is still going good. Sometimes I.feel like an on call vet lol but it's cool I like helping everyone

Yea sorry I called so late and during work but without you bro I'm not sure what I would have done!!

Thanks again Andy!!! I owe you buddy!! Thanks so so much!!! Your the best!!'

Great guy right here everyone! Andy is a SOLID guy!!

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom