Cichlids in planted communiy tank options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAX3000

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

In short, I'd like to run my theoretical set up past you, before I make a start on it.

I am ordering a new 340L (75G) tank, with a footprint of 120cm x 60cm (4' x 2') which I intend to plant out quite heavily with a sandy substrate and plenty of nice big rocks and some bogwood. After some research and consideration, here's my idea for a community, to be built up with care, in the correct order (not the order listed) over some time.

2 x Ellioti Cichlid
2 x Keyhole Cichlid
1 x Red Tailed Black Shark
6 x Red Line Torpedo Barb (or is this too many?)
8-12 x Tiger Barb (please advise on quantity)
1 x Small Pleco (maybe a Tiger)

5 x Zebra Loach
or
5 x Chain Loach
or
5 x Polkadot Loach

8 x Platty
or
8 x Swordtails

My main concerns are:
1) Have I gone too bottom heavy?
2) Will these guys all get along?
3) Will they share water hardness, acidity, temperature...?
4) Have I just overstocked?
5) Other...?

I look forward to your experienced opintions...

Thanks

Well, you picked a couple of the lesser aggressive cichlids. Though some individuals can be nasty customers, most are among the most peaceful of the cichlids.

I tend to stock light. I assume that power might be out for a day or two sometime in the future. But assuming you are using a hob or canister filter, you have a good level of stock in this tank. If you are using an undergravel filter, you are overstocked.

I might change the pleco, for a bristle nose. They tend to run smaller than other plecos. You can find some with outstanding finage these days.

I might consider Otocinclus rather than the loaches as Ottos will actually eat algae off the plants. It is often hard to adapt Ottos to a new tank, but once established, they are hardy.

Hi all,

In short, I'd like to run my theoretical set up past you, before I make a start on it.

I am ordering a new 340L (75G) tank, with a footprint of 120cm x 60cm (4' x 2') which I intend to plant out quite heavily with a sandy substrate and plenty of nice big rocks and some bogwood. After some research and consideration, here's my idea for a community, to be built up with care, in the correct order (not the order listed) over some time.

2 x Ellioti Cichlid
2 x Keyhole Cichlid
1 x Red Tailed Black Shark
6 x Red Line Torpedo Barb (or is this too many?)
8-12 x Tiger Barb (please advise on quantity)
1 x Small Pleco (maybe a Tiger)

5 x Zebra Loach
or
5 x Chain Loach
or
5 x Polkadot Loach

8 x Platty
or
8 x Swordtails

My main concerns are:
1) Have I gone too bottom heavy?
2) Will these guys all get along?
3) Will they share water hardness, acidity, temperature...?
4) Have I just overstocked?
5) Other...?

I look forward to your experienced opintions...

Thanks

Hi Virbius,

Thanks, this is just what I need.

I chose these Cichlids for this very reason. I never knew I could keep ANY cichlid in a planted community aquarium, but after some research I have chosen Ellioti as my favourite, despite them being slightly more aggressive and a bit tough on plants I think they'll be worth it and my wife adores the Keyholes and by all accounts they have a lovely temperament as well as being very pretty.

I'm planning on running an AquaManta EFX 1500 'U' External Filter. So I assume I'm good on stock level in your opinion.

Thanks for the Bristlenose suggestion, I'll look into that.

I'd love I keep the loaches in there if possible cause I just love them. I had some polkadot in the past and they were my favourite fish! So cute and playful. Is there an issue having them in there? I was concerned that I have quite a few largeish semi aggressive territorial fish dominating the bottom, plus the Pleco / Bristlenose and thought I may have run out of room. With a 2' x 4' footprint...? Also I have the shark cleaning the plants...?

Does anything else concern you with my plan...?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a good stock list though a bit dis jointed. I would consider the following:

Set up A:

Temp 74-78 deg F
PH 6.8-7.8

4 xThorichthys maculipinnis "Ellioti"

6 x Sahyadria denisonii "Red Line Barb"

9 x Platy or Swords ( 3 male 6 female)

5 x Botia striata "Zebra loach" ? Still not sold on keeping a loach in this type of set up.

1 x Ancistrus sp. Pleco

Set up B:

Temp 78-82 deg F
PH 6.0-7.2

4x Cleithracara maronii "Keyhole"

10 x 'Puntius' tetrazona "Tiger Barbs"

5 x Botia striata "Zebra loach"

1 x Ancistrus sp. Pleco

I left the shark out of each set up because they can be very hit or miss especially if you're wanting bottom dwelling species like the loaches and cichlids.

Also all the fish you picked out need very clean water and do not tolerate to much organic waste in the water column.

Personally I would consider switching the tiger barbs in "Set up B" with some of the more uncommon and colorful barbs or larger tetras.

Definitely keep the loaches :) I recommend polka dot loaches as they get to a solid size (4 to 6 inches) but are VERY peaceful and also very active and fun to watch! I've kept them with various geophagus and other peaceful SA/CA cichlids and never had an issue.

If you want a loach that might handle aggression better, though, look into botia almorhae, the yoyo loach. They get a little bigger and are a little bit tougher.

Last edited:
I've got my denisons in a 125 - a 4 foot tank would definitely restrict their movement once they got big.

I concur on the Angelicus loaches. Awesome fish - peaceful with other peaceful fish, and enough attitude to be kept with larger cichlids. Mine don't always respect the personal space of other fish though - they can pester fish, though in a non aggressive way. There is more contact between them and other species than any other I've kept. Again, not aggressive - just mildly annoying :)

I've got my denisons in a 125 - a 4 foot tank would definitely restrict their movement once they got big.

that is true, I forgot they get so big. One of my favorite non-Cichlidea fish. It also sucks they are so expensive!

Moguraku,

Thanks, this is a great help. Can I not have both types of Barb or Cichlid or must it be one or the other? And is this due to conflicting water requirements?

Re the RTBS, what if I added him last and while he's still small...? I was hoping that then he'd make do with what territory's left by the other territorial fish, so stay out of their way and get used to being lower in the pecking order before he gets to big and then may be more tolerant of the loaches...? The reason I'm on about it is I LOVE RTBSs and would like to try and keep him in if possible.

Can you recommend any Barbs or Tetras...?

And sorry to question everything you've said, I just want to understand better, but you recommended the Zebra Loach (reluctantly) and I wondered if this was for a specific reason as I like the Polka Dot or Yoyo as Sinibotia and AquaHolic said.

Sinibotia - The clue's in the name right? I'm pleased to hear of your positive experience.

AquaHolic - I'll have to re-think the Torpedos then eh? What would you recommend I replace them with if anything?

Thank you all for your input...

Moguraku,

Thanks, this is a great help. Can I not have both types of Barb or Cichlid or must it be one or the other? And is this due to conflicting water requirements?

Re the RTBS, what if I added him last and while he's still small...? I was hoping that then he'd make do with what territory's left by the other territorial fish, so stay out of their way and get used to being lower in the pecking order before he gets to big and then may be more tolerant of the loaches...? The reason I'm on about it is I LOVE RTBSs and would like to try and keep him in if possible.

Can you recommend any Barbs or Tetras...?

I grouped them together based on water/temperature requirements and what I know might work based on past experience.

The RTBS is the wild card there's no telling how it will react. Rainbow shark maybe a better option, they are allot less aggressive.

Also the Sharks won't do well with the Roseline barbs because of their body shape.

I'll make a list of tetra/barbs when I get home for you.

How about Odessa barbs? Or rosy barbs. I loved my rosy barbs - like mini goldfish they were.

As an aside, Denison barbs are an endangered species so make sure you either get tank raised or maybe pick another fish.

Love the idea of the Rainbow Shark! I'll probably do that. I look forward to your Barb and Tetra list...

Love the look of the Odessa Barbs and will deff consider Rosy's I know they're popular.

I'd only take tank raised, but I'm being talked out of even keeping Torpedo Barbs due to "only" 4 ft tank...! (I'd love to be talked back into it)

I'm sure I can live without them, plenty more fish in the store...!

Odessa barbs were some of my first fish, they're pretty great. It's been a long time but I remember them being really active but well behaved towards other fish.

As an aside, Denison barbs are an endangered species so make sure you either get tank raised or maybe pick another fish.

I'm glad someone pointed this out. They are being over collected in their native watersheds in India. All Red-Line Torpedo Barbs are wild caught as they can't be captive bred yet. I would steer clear of them for sure. Odyssea bards would be my top pick or maybe cherry barbs.

I'm glad someone pointed this out. They are being over collected in their native watersheds in India. All Red-Line Torpedo Barbs are wild caught as they can't be captive bred yet. I would steer clear of them for sure. Odyssea bards would be my top pick or maybe cherry barbs.
Actually, I read that there is some captive breeding going on of them. That said, allegedly most of them are still wild-caught and imported, hence the high price.

That was the case, but it is no longer. I have half wild ($25 each) and half tank raised ($9 each).

Ok, That's good to know. Captive breeding efforts will save this fish from extinction in it's native waters as fishers will be less inclined to capture them. I can still say that a vast majority of those available to hobbyists are wild caught though. Thanks for pointing this out to me :)

This is interesting. I had assumed that if they were under threat of extinction they wouldn't sell wild caught...! I'd hate that! They're some of the most beautiful and impressive fish I've seen. Imagine if they were wiped out! I'll find out for sure and if my source of Red Lined Torpedo Barbs are not captive bred I'll rule them out completely.

I'm still not sure a 75G 4' x 2' tank is too small for them having read up on them, most seam to say they need a minimum of 4', which I will have... is this really an issue?

Back
Top Bottom