Cichlids make holes why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matlon41

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my little sister got cichlids and they make holes but why?? And they dig to the bottom?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462621625.275667.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming these are African cichlids, they are cave dwellers and avid diggers. They are also large and super territorial so they will need to be overstocked in at least a 55g tank with lots of hiding places.

Yeah, you are right it is African cichlids so it must follow the species

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Males typically "dig" in order to clear a flat spot as a potential breeding ground. They like to have caves and holes to hide in in order to escape aggression.

Assuming these are African cichlids, they are cave dwellers and avid diggers. They are also large and super territorial so they will need to be overstocked in at least a 55g tank with lots of hiding places.

Just to put it out there as an avid african keeper, no they do not need to be overstocked. This is poor advise perpetuated by word of mouth. Overstocking simply spreads severe aggression to multiple fish rather than a single target. The trick with stocking Africans is to have only the same aggression levels present in species and to provide adequate numbers for groups who need numbers for security such as acei or labs. Overstocking Africans as a rule is 100% as bad as the whole inch per gallon misconception.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom