cichlids. Peacocks vs mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always thought male peacocks are the most colourful but females are drab. Are mbuna females any better?

I have to say mbuna aswell. Usually with peacocks you'll have a dominate that will show really stunning colors and then a sub dominate that will show nice color aswell. Most after that don't really color up all that great. Witch doesn't happen with mbuna. Plus female peacocks are not colorful at all and most mbuna are.

An all male peacock tank is stunning. Mbuna are also very colorful but im sticking to the all male peacock tank looking better!

I have to say mbuna aswell. Usually with peacocks you'll have a dominate that will show really stunning colors and then a sub dominate that will show nice color aswell. Most after that don't really color up all that great. Witch doesn't happen with mbuna. Plus female peacocks are not colorful at all and most mbuna are.

I thought that when you have different types of male peacocks they all show their colour?

I have two of these one dominate and one sub dominate if I add any others they don't color up hardly at all. Plus I've helped people with all peacock tanks and later they always ask if its normal to have 1 or 2 really color up and the rest not so good. So I know its true.

This is my sub
ForumRunner_20130131_141847.jpg

I have 5 mbuna and a peacock and it seems the mbunas are the ones who bully the peacock and he's like 2x the size of them. But the peacock really adds a splash of color.

Attachments

• image-3619260369.jpg
    image-3619260369.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 87
I have 5 peacocks and 20 mbuna in a 60 gallon along with a gold gourami a rainbow shark and large pleco...they all get along fine...so my answer is both.

Back
Top Bottom