Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cichlids Rapid Breathing After Water Change.

I change my water once a week and every time my cichlids end up on the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly. I add dechlorinator and try to match the water temperature with my python the best I can. I've even left the sponge filters on while I drain the tank in an attempt to oxygenate the water. Anyone else have this happen?

Old 10-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're either scaring the **** out of them or your water parameters are swinging drastically. Do you check ph of your tap? After 24-48 hrs? It can change.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
You're either scaring the **** out of them or your water parameters are swinging drastically. Do you check ph of your tap? After 24-48 hrs? It can change.
Yes, my tap ph is in the 7's.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

It could be that it's too great a change for them. How much water are you taking out each time? If you change too much you'll have to re-acclimate them every time.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

50% water change, I'm new to this and I have been told 50% is the amount I should change out.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I normally change 15 to 25% every three to five days. The only time I did a bigger one was when I had a mold problem and I almost lost my fish. Maybe try a smaller amount of water more frequently. At least that's what works for me.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

50% is fine/standard practice. I do 90% wcs with no issue. It's going to be a temp match or parameter match issue. Or you're coming in like shrek and scaring the doods out of them.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:48 AM   #8

I do have problems matching the water temperature with my python as I fill it back up. I fiddle with the faucet and a digital thermometer but I cannot seem to equally match the temperature to that of my tank's. Any suggestions? It must be the temperature..
Old 10-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Suggestions?? Umm match the temperature better!!! Haha. Kidding.. but seriously.. I have sensitive fish, no room for error with this stuff. I set up a couple 55 gal brute barrels. They run all the time bit you could use yours as needed. Get an air stone and a heater. Just fill it a day or two before you water change. Youd need a pump too. Could be more than you're willing to invest. You could also get an inline digital thermometer, they're meant for shower heads. @coralbandit uses them I believe. That may be the best option.

Tags
api, ate, breathing, change, cichlid, cichlids, eat, ich, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com