Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cichlids sense

Can someone pls explain something that doesn’t really make sense to me?
I have an African cichlids tank as well as a South American cichlids tank.
Question: There’s SO MUCH info & advice for “tank mates” & etc. BUT if all fish are tank bred & raised how do they even know who they ‘like’ or ‘do not like’? I can understand that some types of fish may be more aggressive than others but entire species that are simply from different countries just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. Right now I have a 1 inch baby/juvenile convict cichlid in a breeding netted area in my African tank w/5 free swimming S. Americans & they show no interest in him at all. So how do fish recognize that others are from “the wrong side of the tracks” so to say (or with Africans that other tank mates initially came from separate lakes)?? Thanx to anyone that can make sense of this.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the main concern is that they require different water parameters and have different temperaments. Generally speaking, Africans are more aggressive. Although, I've heard of a group of convicts ganging up on Africans and killing them.

I personally think the biggest hurdle is the difference in habitat and behavior between the two. Instinctually, I don't think you can get around that. If you were going to attempt it I would pick species that are similar in size and aggression. Add them as juveniles and give them a large tank.

Africans a lot of times are overstocked in tanks to curb aggression. SA's are generally kept in smaller numbers to curb aggression. This is another hurdle in keeping the two together.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mother Nature provides her creatures with gentic predispositions & tendencies. That includes aquarium fish. For example a wild Lake Malawi predatory Hap such as a Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus will actively hunt & consume any fish that will fit in its mouth. The same is true for the Fusco's hatchery raised counterparts that have never seen a wild Fusco.
Some keepers have temporary success mixing old world & new world cichlids, but it usually doesn't end well.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Trial and error is the way I go. Probably shouldn't put Mbunas and Peacocks in same tank. Even though the "Pros" say dont mix different continents, I have a Pictus cat in with my Peacocks. Worked out good for me.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com