Cichlids - shall i or shan't i?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have recently started cycling my tank, as some of you probably know already, and am thinking about possible fish. Im considering some cichlids, but im not sure because of there aggressive tendancy's. If i were to buy some, what other fish could go with them?
Would i be able to have some otto's? I think cichlids are going to limit my other choices, whereas with a friendly community tank i would probably have more choice, is this right?

Then you could do some ottos or cory cats. And maybe a small school of a larger tetra or rasbora, or cherry barbs. But if it were me, I'd just go with more Rams, and maybe ottos and cories.

I have a Bolivian Ram in my 55G, and doesn't bother other fish. But not sure how a mated pair would react. But mine seems to like the bala shark. Your tank just isn't big enough for the bala, but maybe a single rainbow. When my bolivian was in with my rasboras, didn't bother them at all either.

right, thats ok then, would it be best to add the cichlids after the corys or ottos - there a bit more delicate arn't they?

So the rams are not too aggressive then, and do look very nice. And are happy on thier own? I didnt realise i could have a rainbow shark! i thought they grew too big. I'll probably get one now. Thanks. (ignore my last post)

My rainbow did well in my 26G. Some do get a little bigger, but I've never seen them get past 5 inches myself. Mine is about 5 inches, and is now in the 55G. I don't see him getting any bigger either. The Rams seem a little more peaceful than other cichlids. I'd like to get a couple more for my 55G.

The rainbow shark is a great scavanger, as well as cories. My Bolivian is doing well on it's own as well. He'll just find another fish to hang with, as mine does with my bala. Quite the pair, lol. The bala is the big brother, lol. Bolivian is just over an inch, and the bala is 6 inches. :)

Do some more checking into the Rams. You might want to do a rams only tank, with maybe a couple ottos or cories to keep the bottom clean. That would be awsome. When I do my next tank, it will be planted, and looking at doing it as a species only tank, with bolivians or geman blues, or maybe both if they are compatable in a 55G planted.

Check this site....
http://www.timstropicals.com/Inventory/Dwarf/RamInfo.asp

Also, keep in mind that the rainbow shark can be a bit territorial too. So before getting one, you will need some extra hiding places, so the shark and cichlids can set their individual territories. My rainbow likes the fake hollow log I put in. The Bolivian sets more where I have some driftwood and a little java moss.

Sounds like a them two are quite a pair! Thanks for the advice, im quite set on rams now, but i dont want a rams only tank, not yet anyway, being my first tank i think it is going to have to be a community tank, i'd like at least one ram, a rainbow shark, some otto's an perhaps some loach and a small pleco. Maybe some schooling fish too.

Yeah, they do look cool, id prefer something perhaps slightly larger (unless i dont have enough room), my brother has some yo yo loach, they are a nice size, then again, i dont want to get the same fish as him, so maybe zebra loach are a better option. What fish should i add first, going by what we have so far? I think im going to leave the rams untill much later when my tank is stable and im used to dealing with water conditions - i just read that rams need soft slightly acidic water - where i live we have alkaline hard water!

If you get loaches, plan on 3, as they like to be in groups. If you want to get something real interesting, look up skunk loaches. I got 3 of them in my tank. They are cool, but are the most agressive of the loaches. Lots of chasing, but don't hurt the other fish (no fin nipping). I'd probably do the schooling fish and loaches first. Then the rainbow or albino rainbow, then the ram when you are used to water conditions.

As for my tank, my tap is 7.8-8.0, and with driftwood, my tank stays pretty solid at around 7.0-7.2, occasionally 6.8, but not very often have I seen it there. Ram is doing awsome with this level. Got 2 medium-sized pieces of Malaysian driftwood in my small tank, and a medium sized piece of Malaysian driftwood and a medium-sized piece of African driftwood in the big tank. Both tanks are ph 7.2 today when I ran my tests., and nitrates <10ppm.

Back
Top Bottom