Cichlids shimmering, not sure if sick or mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Partridge27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have 2 cichlids and 2 catfish in an 80L tank. I have recently put in a hollow log that I once used for lizards (though I cleaned it and scrubbed it over and over). After I put it in my bigger orange cichlid was chasing my smaller blue cichlid around in a viscous manner and the bigger orange was also shimmering. The orange fish is about 6cm and my smaller blue one is about 4cm. The orange one has golds spots on its anal tail but the blue one doesn't. The orange one had not been shimmering or chasing the other one quite as aggressively until I put the log in. I just wanted to know what my situation is. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Sounds like they are just being aggressive or the one is male and other is female. They shimmer/shake when showing dominance and to impress a mate. Sounds like you have some typical African behavior.

Is the blue one taking its mouth and putting it close the egg spots on the other one while shimmering? If so then they are trying to breed.

Back
Top Bottom