Cichlids w/plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know Africans are especially hard on planted tanks, but what about haps and peacocks? Is it just mbuna that is the worst offender?

Thanks!

Anubias and Val's are the best bets, maybe some java fern. The hard water is also a factor to consider, many plants won't grow in it.

True, I have yellow labs who will eat plants down to the roots within two days. As far as peacocks, I haven't had any problem. I'm not sure if that's the norm but my peacocks have not bothered with plants.

Thanks for the responses guys. :)

I'm still toying around with the idea since I rehomed my mbuna. I know they eat plants like crazy but wasnt sure about the haps or peacocks.

Anyone else have any live plants with the mix of fish i have?

thanks guys

If any african cichlid and plants its the luck of the draw, with the majority not being so lucky with plants.

You have to consider their diet. Just like a lot of sa/ca cichlids as well. Mainly ca like jd's, texas, convicts, etc and africans. They all eat plant matter in the wild. What's to stop them from doing it in our tanks?

Well I got my tank finally so I guess I'll have to decide. It only has I think 120watts of lights total. it has 2 36 inch double flourescent bulbs. Is this enough to keep the easy nasty tasting plants listed above?

You have to consider their diet. Just like a lot of sa/ca cichlids as well. Mainly ca like jd's, texas, convicts, etc and africans. They all eat plant matter in the wild. What's to stop them from doing it in our tanks?

It's a good thing that peacocks and haps are mainly carnivorous and don't get that itch, most Central and South American cichlids that destroy plants do so rooting for food and alot are substrate spawners so plants take up valuable spawning space.

120 Watts will do if it's over a 55 gallon for growing the listed plants.

Gillie said:
It's a good thing that peacocks and haps are mainly carnivorous and don't get that itch, most Central and South American cichlids that destroy plants do so rooting for food and alot are substrate spawners so plants take up valuable spawning space.

120 Watts will do if it's over a 55 gallon for growing the listed plants.

Actually its a 125g. Guessing the lights not so good?

Back
Top Bottom