Cichlids with Fiddler crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madwack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 8 African Cichlids and I Just added two fiddler crabs by my wifes request. My Cichlids are extremely agressive and have already killed other fish. My question is are the Cichlids or crabs in danger? I have a 30 Gal long tank with water to the top. Would the crabs be better off in a different tank? I have a 10G with mollies.

The only thing I know for sure about the crabs is that they will escape! You need to really seal up the top well to prevent this. I am thinking they are agressive and like to catch fish, so if you have large aggressive cichilds it may work out.

I'm not sure, most are blue/black with Bright blue almost neon stripes down them. The Cichlids are not afraid of the crabs, one of them finds the crabs amazingly intersting. The Cichlid will poke at it, then turn around slowly swimming away, the crab will try to chase it then the cichlid will turn on the crab and chase the crab.

Fiddler crabs are only semi-aquatic and need to have access to dry land on occasion.

I wanted to put a crab into my tank and did a lot of research on this to be sure I could do it. I finally found a LFS here in town that I trust completely and their fiddler crabs are in tanks with an island in the middle so they can climb out. The owner told me they would eventually drown if kept in an aquarium without access to land. Later I saw a pair in another store that were in a freshwater aquarium. All they did was stand in the corner desperately clawing at the wall trying to escape.

Not only do they need dry land, but they like brackish water.

Here's one link with a little information about them:

http://exoticpets.about.com/library/weekly/aa012201a.htm

You may want to set up another tank for those crabs so they don't drown. :cry:

I have had fiddler crabs in the past. They do much better with open air at the top of the tank and will go up there a couple times a day if they have the option. I have also seen them eat fish, and they will do that whenever they can grab on with the big claw and hold on.

You need to assess whether your Cichlids have the swimming power to escape if the crabs latch on. Relative size is probably a big factor. The fish in the picture looks too big to get eaten, but I've been wrong about that before.

The crabs are very entertaining if you can make your tank work for them! They do a teritorrial mating dance of some kind that looks a bit like semaphore. They can, btw, eat other food, like brine shrimp or even flake food. :)

Yeah, I have a fluval and they climb the plants an hang out on the output of the fluval which in my case is above the water line. I had to tape up the back so they wouldn't escape of course. Feeding them may be a challange the Cichlids are pigs and don't leave much for the crabs. Maybe when the crabs get more hungry they will be a bit more aggressive.

Results after a half week.

Crab one escaped? I suspect he either found a wet spot of tape or just walked though the glass. Anyhow, it happened and the cat mangled it about half way across my living room. Crab two did fine for a few days however.... Today we forgot to feed the cichlids and my wife came home and found 3-4 Cichlids trying to make a meal out of the crab. Both crabs reside in my community tank where they hopefully will grow back there missing parts.

My Advice. If you want crabs, setup a crab tank. Or go to your local main street on a Friday evening and find a $20... Never mind, just setup a crab tank..

If you want crabs, setup a crab tank. Or go to your local main street on a Friday evening and find a $20

ahahahaha. um, sorry if it's inappropriate to point out, but that just struck me as really funny.

The escape thing is a problem. You really need to make it IMPOSSIBLE. It's not enough that you don't see any way they could get to that little opening. There must be no little openings.

Obviously your cichlids were an exception to the rule, but in a tank of guppies, rainbows, tetras, danios and the like, the crab is holding all the cards. Don't be afraid to mix them with other fish, though I wouldn't put them in with Cories or any other slowish bottom dweller.

I have had a 10g set up with a fiddler crab for about 6 months. I got some plastic plants that reach up to the surface, and provide a little mat for the crab to sit on when he needs some air. I also cut holes in the plastic on the bck of the lid (where the heater and everything are) and put some philodendrons through them with the roots trailing into the water, and have produced lots of new leaves and new roots. The crab loves to hang out on the roots, and has molted since he's been living under these conditions.

Back
Top Bottom