Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cichlids with Fiddler crabs

I have 8 African Cichlids and I Just added two fiddler crabs by my wifes request. My Cichlids are extremely agressive and have already killed other fish. My question is are the Cichlids or crabs in danger? I have a 30 Gal long tank with water to the top. Would the crabs be better off in a different tank? I have a 10G with mollies.

Old 07-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
What type of African Cichlids do you have?

Old 07-20-2003, 08:17 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The only thing I know for sure about the crabs is that they will escape! You need to really seal up the top well to prevent this. I am thinking they are agressive and like to catch fish, so if you have large aggressive cichilds it may work out.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #4

I'm not sure, most are blue/black with Bright blue almost neon stripes down them. The Cichlids are not afraid of the crabs, one of them finds the crabs amazingly intersting. The Cichlid will poke at it, then turn around slowly swimming away, the crab will try to chase it then the cichlid will turn on the crab and chase the crab.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:17 PM   #5

Here is a photo of what i'm talking about...
Old 07-20-2003, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fiddler crabs are only semi-aquatic and need to have access to dry land on occasion.

I wanted to put a crab into my tank and did a lot of research on this to be sure I could do it. I finally found a LFS here in town that I trust completely and their fiddler crabs are in tanks with an island in the middle so they can climb out. The owner told me they would eventually drown if kept in an aquarium without access to land. Later I saw a pair in another store that were in a freshwater aquarium. All they did was stand in the corner desperately clawing at the wall trying to escape.

Not only do they need dry land, but they like brackish water.

Here's one link with a little information about them:

http://exoticpets.about.com/library/.../aa012201a.htm

You may want to set up another tank for those crabs so they don't drown.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had fiddler crabs in the past. They do much better with open air at the top of the tank and will go up there a couple times a day if they have the option. I have also seen them eat fish, and they will do that whenever they can grab on with the big claw and hold on.

You need to assess whether your Cichlids have the swimming power to escape if the crabs latch on. Relative size is probably a big factor. The fish in the picture looks too big to get eaten, but I've been wrong about that before.

The crabs are very entertaining if you can make your tank work for them! They do a teritorrial mating dance of some kind that looks a bit like semaphore. They can, btw, eat other food, like brine shrimp or even flake food.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:44 PM   #8

Yeah, I have a fluval and they climb the plants an hang out on the output of the fluval which in my case is above the water line. I had to tape up the back so they wouldn't escape of course. Feeding them may be a challange the Cichlids are pigs and don't leave much for the crabs. Maybe when the crabs get more hungry they will be a bit more aggressive.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:08 PM   #9

Results after a half week.

Crab one escaped? I suspect he either found a wet spot of tape or just walked though the glass. Anyhow, it happened and the cat mangled it about half way across my living room. Crab two did fine for a few days however.... Today we forgot to feed the cichlids and my wife came home and found 3-4 Cichlids trying to make a meal out of the crab. Both crabs reside in my community tank where they hopefully will grow back there missing parts.

My Advice. If you want crabs, setup a crab tank. Or go to your local main street on a Friday evening and find a $20... Never mind, just setup a crab tank..
Old 07-24-2003, 02:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
If you want crabs, setup a crab tank. Or go to your local main street on a Friday evening and find a $20
ahahahaha. um, sorry if it's inappropriate to point out, but that just struck me as really funny.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, crab, crabs, fiddler, fiddler crabs, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com