Cichlids with inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a 40 gallon Cichlid tank. I don't have any fish yet, and was wondering if there are any cichlids comparable with inverts?

If so what are these inverts? Would like shrimp

40galreef said:
Doesn't matter. What kind do you feel like go well with inverts?

Well depends on cichlids because Africans will eat shrimp and snails. Convict cichlids and other cichlids are ok with shrimp though.

Fishie said:
Well depends on cichlids because Africans will eat shrimp and snails. Convict cichlids and other cichlids are ok with shrimp though.

Thanks! This helps

Fishie said:

I'm also curious about having inverts with Africans. However I am still very unsure about it. Soo what 'other cichlids' are you talking about? Like S.A.? Aren't convicts very aggressive cichlids? Confused

40galreef said:
Doesn't matter. What kind do you feel like go well with inverts?

Well, yes it does. Dwarf cichlids would be fine with all snails and *maybe* shrimp. Angels and discus only with snails. Larger new world cichlids would destroy pretty much anything. With most Africans all but the largest of snails would be toast instantly. Even then the larger ones could be killed.

haglagwr said:
I'm also curious about having inverts with Africans. However I am still very unsure about it. Soo what 'other cichlids' are you talking about? Like S.A.? Aren't convicts very aggressive cichlids? Confused

I agree with mumma but I didn't mean convict. Convicts will eat them for lunch!

There are malawi crabs you can purchase at some fish shops.. Only good with certain african cichlids but they are expensive and they get huge and when they molt they have a good chance of getting eaten.. Some crawfish are compatale
Too its just difficult to keep them from getting eaten sometimes

Jacobsal91 said:
There are malawi crabs you can purchase at some fish shops.. Only good with certain african cichlids but they are expensive and they get huge and when they molt they have a good chance of getting eaten.. Some crawfish are compatale
Too its just difficult to keep them from getting eaten sometimes

How about cichlids with plants?

Rams are only good with shrimps that are bit larger like the amano, rcs and things like that will be lunch

Anubias is the only thing that my africans wont eat. A couple java fern have made it but still get nibbled on.

I've got a procambarus alleni (electric blue crayfish) in with 2 Maylandia crabro (bumble bee Cichlids), a Pseudotropheus zebra (blue cobalt Cichlid), and a Senegal bichir they've all been togeather since they were about 2 inches long and they get along well enough. the Cichlids stay away from the crayfish, but the crayfish needs to have a place where it can hide very well (ie a cave with only one entrance. but I might have that one funny tank where it works but shouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom