clean up crew options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ernesto87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have six African cichilids and I small fire eel what are my options for a clean up crew

I'm new here and can't offer advice, but I'm gonna assume people will want to know your tank size.

For algae, plecos do well with cichlids. Maybe get a bristlenose. I have 2 pictus with mine and so far so good. Some people have had success with them and some haven't so it's a hit or miss, same with corydoras. Maybe someone else will chime in here... :)

Tell you the truth I'm not 100% what they are o think one is a yellow lab and some are Johanni the rest I'm in sure il see if I can post some pics right now fire eel is only like 6-8inches

ForumRunner_20120823_071843.jpg

I love your fire eel, and the tank. You should try to figure out what ones you have. A lot are very aggressive but every individual fish is different. Try googling cichlid profiles and look through them or go to the LFS you bought them at and write down their scientific names. Most cichlids don't have common names. How long have you had them?

about a month I put a pictus cat in and I found it dead the next morning but I never see them fight with each other or fire eel ... And Yea I love my fire eel too its finally coming out for every feeding

Some of the fish you have are very aggressive. I hope someone else chimes in about what to put in there for a cleanup. Most do not like other fish. I'm assuming they killed the pictus. It could've been for other reasons. Is your tank cycled?

Yea fully cycled water is good ... Pwc on.schedule I belive they killed it

What if I get a pretty large pleco would size prevent them from picking on it?

Your welcome. Let us know what you decide to go with and how they are. Just a note, if u get a pleco add it in the evening, after you've fed your fish. Also rearrange the decor as the fish will be more inclined to search for new territory than bother the pleco. :)

FishyBusiness said:
Your welcome. Let us know what you decide to go with and how they are. Just a note, if u get a pleco add it in the evening, after you've fed your fish. Also rearrange the decor as the fish will be more inclined to search for new territory than bother the pleco. :)

Your eel would really appreciate a deep sand bed which to hide up in...as far as a pleco that can be most definitely a toss up..smOldering are not safe as well...could look into a tiger botia..they seem to scavenger all over the tank eating up extra food but not for algea..

The eel has a big PVC cave and its sand under he can still burry himself

Sorry I'm late to the party, but +1 on Bristlenose Pleco for algae control. Of course, fish and left over food waste are only controlled with proper filtration and water flow.

Got good water flow and filters alge isnt bad yet but I wanna be on it lol so ganna try a bristle nose pleco and il let you know how it goes that everyone

Back
Top Bottom