Cleaning a used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LucasChandler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just picked up a 55 gallon tank on craigslist and was wondering what the best way to clean it would be. I know not to use chemicals, I used baking soda for my last one, should I just do that again?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If the tank had not been used for reptiles or rodents/ other mammals, I'm a believer in Bleach. Good ole' straight, unscented chlorox ( or store brand) bleach. It kills everything and sanitizes and is easily removed by rinsing then using dechorinator in the water. PLUS, it's cheap!
My second fave is pool chlorine. The big dif is that you can't get less than a gallon and it has to be transported in approved containers.

FYI: it's my understanding that urine or feces from the above mentioned animals can become absorbed into the silicone sealent and even chlorine will not get what's under the surface. This means that under the right conditions, it can be leeched out of the silicone causing fish deaths.

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you, I'll look into that

Even bleach will get into the silicon and release over time. Your best and safest option is just hot water.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also just bought a 55 off Craigslist I cleaned mine pretty well with vinegar and razor blades

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ended up using bleach since I didn't wait for many responses, guess I'll just have to use a lot of de-chlorinating chemicals lol

Or just re seal it since it'll be a week or 2 before I can afford substrate, filter, etc

I have never, And I mean NEVER EVER, had a problem after using bleach on a tank. You rinse the tank afterwards and just dechlorinate the water you use to fill the tank. If you are concerned, try adding 2 test fish ( I use Guppies) to see if they make it. If bleach is still in there, the fish will die fairly quickly. I use 2 fish so if one has any health issues you don't know about, the other one will still give you answers. Just make sure you use bleach that is unscented or has no extra additives. I've used Chlorox, Publix brand ( Grocery store brand) and Walmart's Great Value brand so it doesn't matter which you use.

If you still think it's an issue, go look at my Angelfish albums in my profile or the videos I posted in the thread "Wigglers at last!!!". EVERY fish in those pics and the fry in the vids are in tanks I bleached in the last 12 months before using and the tanks are over 30 years old ( from my last hatchery that closed in the mid 1980s) so they have been bleached before too. I am fully sure it's not an issue using bleach.

FYI: I don't give advice to things I know nothing about or haven't done myself, repeatedly.

Well thank you for the input, saved me a lot of work haha

Back
Top Bottom