cleaning advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tina1948

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have had my set up for about a year and water all ways nice and clear but have been told with cichlids i need to strip tank out and clean gravel a couple of times a year is this true i do water changes every week thanks for your help dizzy oap cichlid lover x

I don't take out the gravel ever. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I use my python to vacuum the gravel while I'm doing my water changes. I make sure to move it all around and get in there to get anything I can. I do that with every water change I do.

I'm not very knowledgeable with cichlids but as far as I know you should never strip a tank, you would have to cycle it again.

Not really stripping a tank but make sure you move everything ( decorations etc) every other month or two I take a few buckets of tank water and put my decorations ( In my case mainly rocks for caves and plants) and do a good cleaning. With gravel you would be surprised how much can still be under.... I have sand. I do about a 75% water change when I do this. Have done this when I did tropicals too.

Back
Top Bottom