cleaning filter in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a canister filter for maybe 5 or 6 weeks now. The tank has been up for about 7 or 8 weeks.. It's not fully cycled and I don't think I have the necessary beneficial bacteria to break down nitrites yet. So, my question is when do I clean the filter and how. I assume at this point it would not be good to remove the media that's in there? Thank you!

Hi Haley. You could clean it if you really want but personally I would leave it alone. I only deep clean my canister every 3-4 months and to be honest it doesn't be that bad. If your cycling at the moment, best to leave it be and assuming your not fully/over stocked, it won't need to be cleaned anyway.
Excuse the question but I assume you know not to clean the media in tap water??....

If you use a dime filter pad or floss I'd change it only if youre having water clarity issue and leave all the sponges and bio media alone

thanks guys, I did know about not using tap water, but only read of that recently online =)

You should get some "beneficial bacteria media" that goes inside of your filter that stays in there so that you can change the filter pad without removing the only beneficial bacteria surface area.

They make these little balls that beneficial bacteria absolutely love.

You should get some "beneficial bacteria media" that goes inside of your filter that stays in there so that you can change the filter pad without removing the only beneficial bacteria surface area.

They make these little balls that beneficial bacteria absolutely love.
The pads should last years and don't really need to be changed. I have pads for over 10yrs and no sign of needing to change them yet!!

The sponges I rinse and have never replaced but the fine filte pad that gets all the small stuff in my canisters dirty quickly and it's not recommended to reuse. Theybsaybto replace each water change or 2 weeks. It's like a thin floss pad in filstar canisters. That's what I was referring to. Sponges just rinse in tank water and keep till they fall apart!

Sorry, I thought you meant the sponges!!!. I use floss instead of the thin floss pads, that went into the bin a LONG time ago....haha

Back
Top Bottom