Cleaning new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh_Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 120g tank on Craigslist that was used for saltwater. I have been cleaning it out with viniger and water got all the glass clean but the built in overflows still have salt buildup on inside and a little on the out side.
Wondering if that little bit of leftover salt will be ok for a cichlid tank.
Thanks

Considering we have to add a half cup if salt per gallon of water to get the right mix...I don't think that amount of salt in that much water would be an issue...my concern would be other trace elements that may affect the tank..but even then not sure if it would enough to affect that volume

Any other left over chemicals that might harm them?
I currently have a 55g cichlid tank and will be moving my fish over to the 120g would really hate to loose any.

Fresh_Fish said:
Any other left over chemicals that might harm them?
I currently have a 55g cichlid tank and will be moving my fish over to the 120g would really hate to loose any.

In that volume of water I doubt it. I got my 72 bow from my brother and he used it for SW I cleaned it with vinegar and elbow grease and haven't had any issues. Been running almost a year now. Started as grow out for my cichlid fry but I got bored with breeding so I started a planted community. No fish loss or abnormal chemistry readings.

Are you going to go with a sump filter since the tank is drilled already?

Yea I got everything needed to run the sump so that's the plan.
Rather happy it was a free I just had to move it. Filled it with water today and didn't see anything wrong. Guy was moving and the tank was sitting in his garage for 2years and didn't want to deal with it.

Fresh_Fish said:
Yea I got everything needed to run the sump so that's the plan.
Rather happy it was a free I just had to move it. Filled it with water today and didn't see anything wrong. Guy was moving and the tank was sitting in his garage for 2years and didn't want to deal with it.

That's a sweet deal. Wish I could find something like that. Although I can't really complain too much. My 125 I got years ago, traded my 55 for it. Some lady had just gotten divorced and wanted a downgrade. My 72 I got as payment to put a clutch in a Subaru impreza wrx. Came with everything to run SW but I like FW better so now I've got skimmers and pumps laying around with no use for them.

Back
Top Bottom