Closest African to a Dempsey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K, so my favorite fish is the Jack Dempsey. But, I love Africans too and since the wife and kids like the color of Africans that is the direction I went.

Now I've heard 2 sides, one being don't mix cichlids from different continents to the other side that "store bred" fish tolerate different ph better and you can mix.

I am leaning towards just keeping Africans but wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions for me that would be similar to a Jd? Not sure if anything would be close at all so I'm just throwing this out to you guys for any ideas.

U can always break rules i did and no deaths i have 4 african cichlids and 2 south american cichlids like the jd

I'd look at the peacocks myself - bright coloration, and some get larger. I wouldn't mix S.A. with Africans - not so much for the sake of pH issues, but rather because of how territorial and aggressive the S.A. get when breeding.

If I have a tankful of Africans and just one Dempsey, does that eliminate the breeding issues since there is no partner?

What about a jewel instead of the jd? Several people do that. It is still from africa, just not the rift lakes.

I'd look at the peacocks myself - bright coloration, and some get larger. I wouldn't mix S.A. with Africans - not so much for the sake of pH issues, but rather because of how territorial and aggressive the S.A. get when breeding.

Not to mention that some africans need a lower protein diet that S.As do.
For some, too much protein will cause Malawi bloat.

S.As on the other hand need the higher protein and will not bloat.

Never thought of a jewel but that is a nice looking fish. How would a couple of jewels do in a tank of johani, yellow labs, etc?

As far as diet, feeding nothing but a high quality diet such as New Life Spectrum will meet all the fish's needs without any problems like bloat

CraigMac said:
Never thought of a jewel but that is a nice looking fish. How would a couple of jewels do in a tank of johani, yellow labs, etc?

Dragonfish makes a good point. Its all fun and games till u get bloat. What do you feed? Only one jewel. More than one becomes an aggression problem from what I understand.

i have 2 oscars with a juvie red zebra and juvie auratus, they never get chased. but these were purely luck, the survivors from a batch of feeder fry that are now tolerated.
i say if u want the SA african mix, you need the right diet that suits both of their requirements in the middle. then you need to get a quite old SA (JG in your case) as they are much calmer and less likely to kill, then put in a group of african juvies and give them lots of shelter/ cichlid stones/ plants to hide in. some may get nommed, but overall you have your mix and your beautiful fish.
i think this will work anyway xxx

I'll have to check when I get home the exact food but I have cichlid flake and pellet recommended by my LFS.

Back
Top Bottom