cloudy new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m-man

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have set up my 46 gallon with lava rock and a mix or cichlid mix and black gravel, i rinsed everything beforhand, and have filled and drained the tank a couple of times, but it seems to stay cloudy, it is a superfine white powder like cloud, ive tried turning off all filters and letting the tank sit for 24 hours, but it does not settle
what should i do

well the filter is not filtering it out, i guess ill just keep doing water changes

..i do have a chemical that will make suspended particales clump together so the filter can pick them up, but its not made for aquairums, tempting to use though, cause ive done like 3 90% w/c and its still cloudy

ok, so i have literally changed hundreds of gallons of water, still gets cloudy within hours, it is not because its cycling, i have crushed coral and argonite substrate and lots of lava rock, do you think one of those is the problem, i have an xp3 filter with a fine pad in it, but i added some poly fill above that, and it had no real effect, really at a loss here

I have known argonite to be a good water clouding substrate. I had the same problem when I added it to my saltwater aquarium, however I just let it settle and after about 3days it was fine. Do to not rinsing it enough though a good disturbance would cloud the tank up again.

Back
Top Bottom