Cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 55 gal. Cichlid tank is a little cloudy, and has been for a while. What could be the causes? How often should I do water changes? My friend has a 20 gL and his water is very clear, and fish are healthy, an he never does water chAnges. How is that?

I'm a newbie but I can tell you when it happened to me my LFS gave me a little cup of this liquid that was brown in color. He said add it all and swish the little container it came with in the water and it should clear in 24 hours. If not then he said we would attack it a different way. Also he told me to cut back on how long I leave the lights on.

Sorry I can't help more, this place is great place to learn but I'll share my experiences and what little knowledge I have.

not the most experienced person here, but i have read that those store bought clarifiers only mask a real problem. what type of filtration do you have on the 55 gal tank?

I've got an aquaclear 50 and a power head. It happened also when I had my tip fin 60. I think its the lights, but I'm not sure. They are on a timer for 8-9 hours. Is tht too much?

It sounds like a bacteria bloom. I would get more filtration and do some water changes and it should clear up on it's own.

liljosh609 said:
Thank you. But what about the lighting?

If your water was green then you'd if know you have to much light.

Beef up you filtration you want 500-550 gallons per hour of filtration for your tank.

What are you water parameters and how long has the tank been set up?

Yea its not green. It is just kind of murky dark. Not too bad. It's been set up for over a year.

The pH is fine and so is ammonia levels. Not sure about nitrate. Last time i checked they were ok

liljosh609 said:
Yea its not green. It is just kind of murky dark. Not too bad. It's been set up for over a year.

Basically - white cloud = ammonia, green cloudiness = algae, brown murky = high level dissolved organics/ tree tannin from driftwood. If it is brown you can 1. Use carbon to help remove excess mineral. 2. perform large regular water changes until it is all leeches out. Or 3. Maybe use what's called a flocculent to bind microscopic partIcles together to allow your filter to more easily pick them up. I personally like the tannin look, particularly in soft water, amazon setups.

Yes. I think its is #3, because a few months ago I put a stick in my tank after only letting it sit for a few days. So I think it's just the tannins. How should I get rid of them? I just added some clarifier, I'm guessing it's the flocullent thing you mentioned. But it keeps on coming back after weeks. Should I just do more large water changes?

liljosh609 said:
Yes. I think its is #3, because a few months ago I put a stick in my tank after only letting it sit for a few days. So I think it's just the tannins. How should I get rid of them? I just added some clarifier, I'm guessing it's the flocullent thing you mentioned. But it keeps on coming back after weeks. Should I just do more large water changes?

That is the only way. That and carbon will speed it up. Personally I don't think flocculants work that well but large water changed will do the trick. Alternatively take the stick out and put it in the bath tub with hot water. Rinse and repeat :)

liljosh609 said:
How long should it be in the tub?

You should see the water turn brown. When it stops doing that, you're done. It may take days, and I would let it soak for a day or so at a time at least. Keeping it hot if possible.

Back
Top Bottom