Cloudy water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zipperfly58

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please any suggestions are gladly welcome. I have a 38 gallon bow front with juvenile peacock cichlids. I just did a water change about 1/3 and also did a vacuum job, every time this happens and clears up after about 24 hours. I can't seem to figure out why. If I remember right this doesn't happen during thee warmer summertime/ spring time.

Thank you.IMG_1519254229.160831.jpg

Bacterial bloom IMO, probably from stirring up the gravel. Tank may not be fully cycled which is causing this might also be a little overstocked, did you cycle it in the beginning?

I used to get this on my tank when I first was learning about bacteria blooms. I had a heck of a go at first, but once established I would gravel vac like crazy on my water changes. Then I'd get cloudy water for about a half day before it would clear up. I was advised at the time to do a light vacuum of the top layer of substrate and only do a deep vac (to the bottom and up) once a month or two depending on bio load and only 1/3 of the substrate at a time or once a month or two. Essentially I was told I was vacuuming too much of the beneficial bacteria at once. I've followed this procedure ever since and I have never experienced cloudy water. There maybe other reasons or ideas about this but this is my experience with it and your situation sounds similar.

Back
Top Bottom