Cloudy water & dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did take a pic of my godhead comp after I died but I don't know how to upload it onto the forum from my iPhone

But apart from having no eyes & a slightly compressed belly...it looked normal!

Well with the water being tested by the lfs, its hard to say. But the blood worms could have done some damage to the intestines if the fish are still juvenille. You should read up on bloat and blood worms. I would be doing 40-50% water changes daily. Untill you are certain you fixed the problem. Also was clown loach also missing eyes?

Ok, well I will research some. One thing comes to mind, story time. In my early stages of cichlid tank ( still learning) I had a dominate male, he never bothered any tank mates at all. I introduced several other fish later, everthing seemed fine. Till I got home from work three days in a row and had dead fish each night. All had tore up fins, and missing eyes. I never rearanged my tank, my male was deffending his territory. Also have heard of south affricans eating plecos eyballs when introduced.

Yeah the clown loach had the missing eyes as well.
I don't think it's a dominant male because I've been finding fish dead all hours of the day & I don't have overly aggressive cichlids in there.
The lfs told me after some tests that water was perfect & in no possible way the cause of my problem.
I appreciate the help Cichlid greenhorn.

Also, if your using the app, hit reply there is a attacments button right next to the send button. Just hit add attachment and chose from gallery if its still in your phone.

I personally don't think its fungal now. Usually there is some fins that look kinda furry and half gone. Im stumped, how many fish did you add last? Maybe you disturbed your cycle and it couldn't handle the new bioload for long.

The last fish I added were 2 gold head comps a day before fish started to die

I was feeding them veggie pellets but for the last month I've been feeding them nls 5 days a week,brine shrimp 1 day & tetra color or hei feng fast colour 1 day.
Quiet the opposite,they alway come to the top when I'm around & always wanna eat!

You may feed to much. Go to Google type " overfeeding fish ", first two links have valuable info. Cichlids have amazing personality and may come to the top of the tank just when your in the room, or in front of the tank. (Mine do) cloudy water is caused by decaying organic material. If you have no plant life to decay then the cloudy water would have to be the excess food decaying.

How do I know if I'm over feeding them,I throw in 3 or 4 pinches of food & it's usually gone in 2-3 minutes!

It's hard to say. I have 6 fish I feed nls daily, usually just once daily. I give small pinches ( about 6 pellets) of medium 1 mm pellets. Wait till that's gone and then another pinch. Repeat about 4-5 times. Also, you should check your filter media, and give it a good rinse with tank water during a water change.

Cleaning the filter will help with the water looking a bit cloudy...but I'm still confused as to why my fish are dying!

Back
Top Bottom