Cloudy water & dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floggz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,I recently did a 25% water change because I saw cloudy water & 2 dead fish,I have a ammonia level chart in the tank & it's still at zero,yet today,a day after the water change,the water is still cloudy & I found another dead fish,all 3 had their eyes missing,what could be the problem....it's a 100g Cichlid tank

Please help...I hate seeing my fish die!!

How long has the tank been set up?

How did you cycle the tank (if cycled)?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Which test kit?

What is the list of fish in this tank?

How is the tank decorated?

Thanx for reply
Tank has been set up for 3 months,I've had 2 electric yellows & a gold head comp die,I don't have a testing kit just the ammonia chart in the tank,I'm buying a full kit tomorrow & I get confused about cycling...what should I be doing?

Tank is decorated with holey rocks, sandstones and slate...no plants.

Sorry about your fish :(. Yes you will want a test kit ASAP or at a minimum take a sample to your LFS to have it tested. It's difficult to begin to know what is going on until your water parameters are known.

Are you talking about the little test kits that suction cup to the inside of the tank? Those are overpriced, inaccurate, and only last about 3 weeks.

What is confusing you about cycling? The purpose of the process is to create colonies of good bacteria to naturally filter the water (of course filters are still a necessity) the process takes roughly a month depending on what equipment is running to help speed the process along. (a stagnant tank at room temp will never cycle - whereas a tank with the proper water circulation will allow the bacteria to spread across the gravel/sand and keep the bad bacteria from harboring in the corner). A fully cycled tank is when nitrItes and ammonia are at 0 and your nitrAtes are anywhere from 10-40 ppm

Would over feeding the fish be a problem, how many times should I feed them a day?

Feeding is not your issue right now. A toxic environment most likely is.

Please be sure to read that article.

I feed every other day. Only when I have fry do I feed daily.

I took my water to the LFS to test...
Ammonia is at 0
Nitrite is at 0 & nitrate is at perfect level

Owner seems to think fish died because I fed them bloodworms 3 or 4 times & water is cloudy because my filter wool is dirt
Could this be a valid reason for my cloudy water & 3 dead fish??

Do you have other fish in the tank, alive? Or all dead? Also, how long have you had the fish? And how often have you been doing water changes? Sorry lots of questions,

That's ok mate,ask away
I have plenty of other fish in my tank,all alive.they have been my only 3 deaths since I established the tank
I've been told to & have been doing water changes every 3 - 4 weeks.Its worked for me so far.im running a fluval 405 filter!
2 electric yellows died which I've had since day one & a gold head comp died which I purchased 2 weeks ago!

I personally do 25% water changes every three days. Some do every other or everyday! I would do it more often, your fish will appreciate it. Plus did you stress treat, acclimate your fish before adding? Also with south african's any time I add fish I totally redecorate. Your fish could have perished due to a territorial rivalry. What is your male;female ratio? BTW when a completely cycled tank runs you can have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, but the nitrate continueously builds. In three weeks time this can be stressful even fatal.

I've been told to & have been doing water changes every 3 - 4 weeks.Its worked for me so far

It actually hasn't worked for you so far if your fish are dying.

You've been given really bad advice on tank maintenance. I do 50% water changes on all of my tanks weekly, and they are established. When a tank is new, you have to be even more careful as your parameters can fluctuate quickly.

Also bloodworms should only be used as a snack. Personally I give mine some once a week or less. Have heard to many bloodworms can cause bloat and digestive problems too.

Just had another fish die today...a clown loach,I don't know what to do!!

You probably would have noticed ick or a fungal infection. As it can still be seen on the fish after death.

Back
Top Bottom