Clown loach and mbunas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been keeping them together for 10+ years without a single instance of fighting or deaths. The trick is feeding them, the mbuna are hyper-aggressive at feeding time where the loaches are not. This has been the one and only problem I've encountered. I also keep a single rainbow shark in each Malawi tank, they are great scavengers and their color/body contrast really stand out.

HUKIT said:
I've been keeping them together for 10+ years without a single instance of fighting or deaths. The trick is feeding them, the mbuna are hyper-aggressive at feeding time where the loaches are not. This has been the one and only problem I've encountered. I also keep a single rainbow shark in each Malawi tank, they are great scavengers and their color/body contrast really stand out.

Good,I was thinking about just buying one,but then I read you have to keep 4 or more. I just wanted to know if one could survive in my mbuna tank. What foods do you suggest I should feed it?

doogle said:
two is fine, i keep 2 clowns with my red zebras and electric yellows, powder blues etc... in 55g tank, the clowns are slow growers anyway.

Ok thanks,do they eat the same as the mbuna's?or pacific foods?

doogle said:
mine eat sinking cichlid pellets of the hebivore and regular varieties, flakes and the average foods are fine.

Thanks,I bought one clown this morning,ima go back in the am and get another.....

Tank size will determine if they can be stocked, they are a social schooling fish that should be kept at 5 or more.

HUKIT said:
Tank size will determine if they can be stocked, they are a social schooling fish that should be kept at 5 or more.

I have an 60 gallon long for now,I'm waiting to catch a deal on craigslist for an 125 gallon

Clown loaches are one of the slowest growing fish, it's taken me 5-6 years before seeing the 7-8" range for a alpha male where the others are still only 4-5". I would stock 5 for now if your going to keep them knowing full well that a decent sized upgrade will be needed.

HUKIT said:
Clown loaches are one of the slowest growing fish, it's taken me 5-6 years before seeing the 7-8" range for a alpha male where the others are still only 4-5". I would stock 5 for now if your going to keep them knowing full well that a decent sized upgrade will be needed.

Yeah I'm getting a 125 gallon within a couple of weeks,I bought another cl and I caught both of them eating algae off of my rocks.I think they feel a lil bit better now that I have two of them,I will purchase 3 more when my fish store get sum more. Thank y'all for ur info....

Back
Top Bottom