Clown loaches and African Cichs in the same tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cafe Jeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a soft spot in my heart for Corys, but with the present set up which includes 4 small African Cichlids I thought I would give the Cory's a pass. But I have on occasion seen Clown Loaches in with Africans displaying some of that same Cory behavior. The combination seems rather counterintuitive to me, but has anyone tried it and has it worked?
The local LFS just got in a nice bunch which got me thinking. Jeff

We used to have a clown loach in with our Africans. It hid all the time and after a few months, he was floating at the top. No bite marks, but I don't like it was a good mix. Africans and clowns prefer different water quality and we never got to see our clown.

Did you just have the one?
I was planning on a trio of a decent size.
I had heard that don't often do quite as well by their lonesome. I wonder what killed yours. I definitely see that the water parameters are quite different but to that end I was hoping to find a bit of a middle ground.

Are the African cichlids full grown? If not then you run the risk of them causing your corys problems when they grow larger as they will want to establish larger territories and at that point they may want the corys out of it. That is assuming you can successfully get a peaceful balance when you put them in your tank.

I've heard about a few persons who've been able to keep clowns and Africans in the same tank- but those are definitely few and far between. Cories will not survive in an African tank.

Like Menagerie said, water parameters and behaviour/territory differences are simply too significant to keep these species together with any real degree of success.

If you're interested in bottom-dwellers that display that "pack" behaviour, look into S. petricola. These are great little Synos that come from the Rift Lakes and are every bit as entertaining as the clowns and cories are. :)

I did only have one. Later I tried three in my community tank and they all died. I gave up on clowns.

I second the S petricola, and the S multipuntatus are tons of fun. I have two S petricola in with my shellies.

No corys her.
Bit the bullet and will be watching them closely. As is, I have a spare tank for them if worse comes to sorse.
I have a Syndodontis, but he hangs upisde down all day under a flower pot.

So far so good with my clowns -- I bit the bullet -- no one seems to bother them, they travel all the highways and biways of the slate. This morning, I saw them all in a bundle between a rock and the glass. I thought the worse. Switched on the light and they went back to work. Very cute! Jeff
In any event, I am watching them closely, the tank is fully cycled, over filtered, and lightly populated.

Back
Top Bottom