Clown or Yoyo Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discusdude

Aquarium Advice Regular
After a few weeks now I have been finding trumpet snails on my tank probably from some plants I bought. I try to hand pick them from the substrate, drift wood and rock but it's impossible to get them all. I just want to know which Loach would do a better job in helping the snail population. I know it's not the best way to handle it but it will help and I like the fish at the same time.

Or you could build a snail trap, you the search tool for the forums you should find some good info.

I agree with Sonoma, what happens when all the snails are gone. Now your stuck with fish you may or may not have wanted. I just don't agree buying fish to perform a job that is our function as hobbyist.

Rep points to the Kid!

I agree with the last 2 posts but after i got my Yoyo loaches for this purpose and even when the snails go i would never get rid of them. Saying that the snails have got larger in number anyway =P

That's what I posted in the original post... But I knew some one was going to get all crazy and tell me that... I also stated that I do like loaches and wouldn't mind them in my tank.. Sometimes people on this site need to chill and quit scolding people. Not like I said i was going to use them and flush them.

I agree, although I see the others point in considering the long term as well.

Also, how many people get otos and plecos to deal with diatoms and algae? Shall we tell them to get a sponge and do their job as a hobbyist?

In reflection I often find myself analyzing the advice I dole out, lest I tread across the line of hypocrisy.

When I give out advice I rarely consider the OP feelings, we are here to take care of out fish's health and long term happiness. I'm sorry if I come off as harsh sometimes but that's who I am. I'm a former Army Ranger who's been brought up telling people the way it is...right to the point without beating around the bush.

I had snail problems also - them screw-like looking things that multiply on their own - no mating! Had yoyos in the tanks already and they were still there. Tried some copper liquid from the LFS - nothing! Talked to an individual at the local Petsmart and he said - copper penny - pre-1973 - I have a collection of wheat-leaf pennies so dropped two in the tank - voila - no mo snails!

So the penny trick works. Only one problem, I have ghost shrimp in my tank. Won't they copper kill them as well?

Back
Top Bottom