Colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have to oscars, an albino and an african tiger oscar. The albino looks amazing but the color on the tiger oscar is fading. What could cause this? He looks like he is peeling or shedding scales

Ok I will but like his colors like come back then fade again

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110726_144441.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110726_144441.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 157
Oscars will change color rapidly based on stress levels either going very dark almost black or becoming very light yellowish, if your seeing this constantly something is wrong. Those marks are from aggression...looks like he's being chased.

Well he is the boss of the tank. When him and the albino aren't getting alone he is the one that picks on the other one

Well he is the boss of the tank. When him and the albino aren't getting alone he is the one that picks on the other one

Then the marks are being inflicting from him chasing the other one, this is not a good sign at a early age in oscars since they are not matured yet and this aggressive behavior will only increase as time goes on peaking around 18 months.

So what should I do about it? Should I give one away or should I see what happens?

I would set up a tank divider out of egg crate for a couple of weeks then remove the barrier and monitor the aggression levels. There are times when fish either need to be alone or rehomed due to aggression levels, these are fish that can turn quickly overnight without warning. A few weeks ago my male attacked and killed his mate after several successful spawns and being together for years.

Oh wow. Well ill see what I can do thank you for the help. I was thinking about selling them anyways but if there is hope then I will try

Selling both fish together just makes it someone else's problem(especially the albino)if it comes to that I'd do it separately.

That's what I meant. I could give the albino to someone and then either keep the tiger oscar or give it to pets a pleanty so they can nurse him or her back to health. Another question, how do you sex them?

Oscars are monomorphic which means there are no physical differences even when vented, so until you see eggs or fertilized eggs you'll never know.

Ok thank you. So I guess I will never know! But thanks for the help. I'm probably going to try to give them away. Any ideas as to where?

I hate rehoming fish since I always feel guilty(big reason I keep adding tanks) but Craigslist or your local fish store. Whenever I use Craigslist I always quiz the people about the nitrogen cycle, tank size, and feedings to ensure they're going someone good(I know big tough Ranger boy is a baby).

Ya I know. I just want them to be treating good. But chain stores like petsmart and stuff don't take good care of their fishes

I have a pair of fire mouths how long will it take for them to start breeding

You really should start your own thread, hijacking someone else's is rude.

But if you have a pair that have truly bonded they reach sexual maturity around 3-3.5" and they are egg layers which will hatch in 3-4 days while the parents guard the spawn site and newly wiggling fry.

Its ok I don't mind. Just as long as everyone has happy fish! Thanks for saying something though. But before this is done can I ask you a few more questions?

Back
Top Bottom