Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

combining sponge and HOBs for discus

I'm thinking of combing filtration systems. I've got an Emperor 400 for my 75 gallon tank that will house discus. I was planning on adding an AC 500 (110). I am putting prefilters on both. Is there an advantage to adding sponge filters too? Should I just use the Emperor 400 and add a couple of sponge filters? Should I use the AC 500, the Emperor 400 and sponge filters? I know a lot of this is a matter of preference, and I tend to overdue filtration with my other tanks. I'm planning on making some flow diffusing devices for my 2 power filters so as to not stress the fish from too much current.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Much of the answer to this depends on the bioload. I combine sponge filters and HOBs on the heavier stocked of my discus tanks. I feel there are several advantages. 1. Sponge filters oxygenate the water which can easily be depleted in the high temps discus require. 2. You've always got a seeded sponge if you need to set up an additional tank.

HTH

Old 12-30-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

AC is a sponge filter essentially. I don't see a traditional airlift sponge filter as a major addition to an already functioning system. I only use them when gentleness is required, or when trying to hyper-oxygenate, which your emporor already does.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will likely have 8 adult discus in this tank. I will start with about 20 small juvies and sell the ones I don't like as mush to the LFS. Since it will be a barebottom tank, aesthetic aren't an issue.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a discus tank (especially grow out tanks), sponge filters are the preferred filtration source. The reason being they can be easily cleaned with the daily water changes.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNY
In a discus tank (especially grow out tanks), sponge filters are the preferred filtration source. The reason being they can be easily cleaned with the daily water changes.
I have been educated. Thank-you.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have also read that strong currents stress the small discus too. I'm months away from getting any discus. I just want to get my act together before/if I make a move. If you read up on them a good bit, discus can seem intimidating to keep.

Tags
discus, sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com