Coming from Salt Water to Fresh Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I need to unfortunately take my current 75 SW aquarium, and revert it back to a FW aquarium. I'm going to do an African Cichlid tank. Is it the same principles as a salt water tank?

Equipment:
-Powerhead
-Sump or Canister Filter
-Heater
-Sand
-Live Rock (Well I'm going to be turning my current LR into Base Rock for the cichlid tank)

Only thing I am curious is the all famous fish per gallon rule. What is the deal with Cichlids?

Awesome series of vids. Pretty much answered almost all my questions but one...

Is there such thing as too much flow? I've got two pretty beefy powerheads.

One more thing too lol!

Can I even reuse the stuff out of my SW tank? Like Rock, Sand, Power heads and stuff? What would be the process for drying out my LR and making it ready to use in a fresh water tank

Dry it out in the sun and rinse it...... SOme people would bleach it in a bucket, then rinse, then rinse again in decholorinator.

Cichlids love flow.
not always. there is a thing as too much flow.
One more thing too lol!

Can I even reuse the stuff out of my SW tank? Like Rock, Sand, Power heads and stuff? What would be the process for drying out my LR and making it ready to use in a fresh water tank
personally i would sell it since its worth more as alive then dead.

Since the thread was about all that rock, I (maybe wrongly) assumbed mbuna. Many mbuna come from wave washed rocky habitat. Lake Malawi has currents and storms which whip up the water. Most mbuna appreicate strong flow.

True that there can be too much flow, but you can always judge that and take out a powerhead.

Back
Top Bottom