Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Companion for Firemouth

Currently Im in the process of converting my 20 gallon into a planted tank, and the only fish I have in there is a full grown Firemouth. Now I would like to put a couple more fish in there, but not sure on suitible companions for him. I used to have a small pack of Tiger Barbs and they seemed to do fine(lost them all when my tank sprained a leak) but Im not sure I want to go that route again. I was thinking of some Yoyo or Clown Loaches, or a BristleNose with something else. Its hard to gauge his aggresiveness since hes the only one in there, but he does stand up to me and my cats.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.

(EviL DeaD)DEAD by DAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #2

Alright, not all at once now. Anyways, I looked it up and all I get are ideas, I want somebody with some experience.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a full grown male firemouth in a 55g with a group of yoyo loaches, a couple dojo loaches, 2 bosemani rainbows, and a group of smaller firemouths. He is generally mean to any other cichlid species, but not as much to the other firemouths. He picks on the dojos every now and then, but completly leaves the yoyos alone.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your option are going to be limited in a tank of that size as their is not much room for him to develop a territory. He will most likely wind up killing or harrasing anything you put in there. A larger tank such as a 40 or a 55 would provide you with some more flexibility.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #5

Yes, I know the tank is somewhat small but it seems rather empty since he is the only one in there. He also got along fine with my tiger barbs and clown loaches. Id like to get a bigger tank, but I live in a apartment upstairs and dont trust the floors to take the weight. Well I might settle on a pair or trio of yoyos.

Thank for the replies

Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

when you do add the new fish it might be good to move some of the decor around so they all will establish a territory for themselves at the same time.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #7

Hmm I may consider putting him up for adoption.

Tags
firemouth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com