Company for Blood Red Parrot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben757

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know which fish get along with blood red parrot cichlids?

Common pleco and jack Dempsey cichlid. Also all sorts of cichlids.

Be careful bp aren't always able to touch out against other chlids.. I would say a bristle nose plec... Not a common plec bc they need 100 gallon tank imo... I would say another parrot. They come in all sorts of awesome colors and look cool in groups. My bp couldn't tough it out w my jack or convict so I rehome him to a pb only tank w a friend...

But a 50 gallon tank is needed. Possible a 40 long... Min and good filtration. I shoot for ten rotations an hour flow rate...

Not all sorts of cichlids but most. I would agree not a common but a bristlenose pleco. I got 2 blood parrot with jack Dempsey and common pleco + zebra danios . So they are all compatible but zebra might get eaten.

Idk blood parrots are semi aggresive and you can look it up. I think so though.
ok, because my blood red parrot in only 1 1/2 inches right now, so as long as the dwarf gourami is larger it should be fine.

I had bp in a community tank once... Was out of ignorance. But he was peaceful. Their teeth are further back so they don't always attack

I have my b p in with boliian rams gold sevrums rosey barbs zebra danios and a ghost knife. All get along well

mdavidson said:
I have my b p in with boliian rams gold sevrums rosey barbs zebra danios and a ghost knife. All get along well

Guy at petsmart b p would eat my zebras.

ben757 said:
ok, because my blood red parrot in only 1 1/2 inches right now, so as long as the dwarf gourami is larger it should be fine.

That BP cichlid will eventually max out to ten inches.

IMO all depends on the personality of the BP. I would only do big schooling fish with it like giant danios or emperor tetras, big plecos like sailfins or BNs, or other tank mates. This is all if you have a BIG tank.

Sometimes you get the big fish who has grown up with little guys, so he doesn't think of them as food. Normally this isn't the case. A 10" Cichlid of any type is "always" going to kill a 1" fish because he can, there's exceptions to this but it's better to abide by the "can't fit in mouth" rule.

What size is your tank? That's pretty important to know before advising more fish.

Back
Top Bottom