Comparability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithpants94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 55 with about 8 mbuna right now. I'm wondering if I can add any other types of Malawis. Are haps and peacocks compatible? Or do I have to stick with only mbuna?

In a 55 stick with Mbuna, it's hard to give accurate compatibility advice however with out knowing what your current stock is.

Right now all I have is 2 yellow labs, 1 kenyi, 1 red zebra, 2 auratus and a bumblebee. They have been best friends for about a year now.

smithpants94 said:
Right now all I have is 2 yellow labs, 1 kenyi, 1 red zebra, 2 auratus and a bumblebee. They have been best friends for about a year now.

I would add like 3-5 more labs, 2 zebras, 5 auratus and call it a day.

Some say it's a good idea to do all male tanks and others say not to. Same is said about mixing Mbuma peacocks and haps as well. In my 75g I have around 25 fish including juveniles and they are a mix of Mbumas peacocks and haps and the majority of them are all males and I have very few problems.

Ckennedy37 said:
Some say it's a good idea to do all male tanks and others say not to. Same is said about mixing Mbuma peacocks and haps as well. In my 75g I have around 25 fish including juveniles and they are a mix of Mbumas peacocks and haps and the majority of them are all males and I have very few problems.

Yep it's all a gamble, some times it works and sometimes you'll come home to dead fish.

Gotta decide if the rewards are worth the risk. You may put the other ones in there and they all get along, or you might find out it isnt gonna work.

smithpants94 said:
Maybe it's not a bumblebee then, I've had it for about a year and he's probably the most docile one I have.

If its a female it may be ok because they can be really calm. The males are really aggressive towards everyone but my m/f didn't pair up. They don't even look at each other. The problem is the size they get in a 55 like garfy said. The bigger they get the bigger their mouths get and in a 55 it would make it extremely difficult to make out the other stock that gets big enough that it won't eat them. Post a picture of it and we can tell you if it is or not. In a year time it should be getting a nice size.

garfy said:
The patterning looks a bit odd for a Crabro but it could be just its individual pattern.

That's what I was thinking but it still looks like a bee. I think at one time or another my male bee started getting goofy black patterns aswell before he went all black.

Andrew McFadden said:
That's what I was thinking but it still looks like a bee. I think at one time or another my male bee started getting goofy black patterns aswell before he went all black.

I think you could well be right.Having looked through a number of pictures on google there are a few that are similar to this one.

Back
Top Bottom