Compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, so long story short, my sis-in-law has a 5 in. Blue Johanni that she doesn't want anymore. And I feel bad for him. Alone (as in his own species) in a 30G tank with a 9 inch pleco, 2 eight inch sharks, 5 guppies and a pile of mollies. I was wondering how you guys think he would do with my D. Gourami and BGK in the 75G? And do cichlids rub against stuff a lot or do you think he has some sort of fungus or possibly ich? I haven't noticed anything on him that looks funky, and he is the best looking fish in the whole tank. If I got him, I would probably buy another tank so I could QT him. Thanks!:rolleyes:

johanni are pretty aggressive fish... i would be afraid of keeping it with any community fish, along with the fact that it has completely different water and feeding requirements... what you could do is set up a tank and put compatable fish with it, most any mbuna would be compatable

Oh no! Poor baby....he is mbuna then....DANG IT. He lives in with those other fish now and he doesn't bother them at all, he hangs out by himself. What are the different water requirements?

mainly ph... though ph isnt really a big factor, they thrive in higher ph... the biggest is the dietary needs... mbuna are omnivores, but too much protein causes bloat... bloat can cause death if not treated... plus, you'll end up with fish bones in your tank eventually... these guys may look sweet and innocent, but trust me, theyre not

Even if the fish in the tank are the same size as him? Hmmm, I feel bad for the little guy where he is right now. But I understand what you are saying about him being a veggie eater, whereas my BGK and DG are both, and he would probably eat the bloodworms and shrimp if he was in there with them. I WISH I had room for another tank, but I don't. My house is too **** small....But I could put another one in the bedroom HAHA!

trust me... i have a 1200sq ft apartment, i had five 55's and a 30 set up at one time. now i have my 150, 55, and two 10's set up. You can always make room for another tank, even if it means getting rid of a couch or two. But as far as the fish goes, it could kill a fish 2, even 3 times its size. Its just its aggressive nature. Not saying it couldnt work, you could put it in there with guppy fry and it may not bother them, but there is always that chance. It would be in your best interest, your fishes best interest, and that fish's best interest to keep it in a tank with its own kind. Jmo though

Ok, thanks. I will not be putting him in the 75G. I don't want my Elvis baby to get hurt! Or even the DG for that matter. Thanks for your help!

Blue Johanni are one of the meanest Mbuna there is! It will distroy a Gourami within hours. It would eat any and all guppy fry. Mbuna are defiantly NOT community fish! They can only be kept with other Mbuna. I am surprised the other fish he is with are all still alive. Once that guy hits maturity, all **** is going to break loose. I had put a few Mbuna fry that were less than a half inch in with some full grown guppies one time and those tiny fry attacked and almost killed the guppies that were 3 times their size within hours! Mbuna are defiantly crazy fish! But my very favorites!

They not only need a higher pH, but hard water, a ton of rock caves and 1 male to 2-6 females to thrive. They are strict Veggy eaters too.

Thanks! Of all fish, the blue johanni is my favorite fish, so I think in the future, I am gonna have to get myself a mbuna tank! We already have hard water up here, so that won't be a problem lol! Actually, it's hard enough to where I am suprised Elvis, the BGK, is doing so well and growing so good.
Thanks for your advice guys! I learned my lesson about jumping into things when I first joined this site.

Back
Top Bottom