Compatibility Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking into getting a few cichlids for my 50 gallon tank and was wondering if they can be put in with other fish. I have 3 mollies, 2 upside-down catfish, a zebra danio, a dwarf frog, and an apple snail that I was hoping they would be ok with. If not these fish are they compatible with any? I do have a few tanks so I can shuffle around fish if I have to.
Thanks for any advice in advance:popcorn:

Bolivian or German RAMS,KRIBS go well with other community fish ? Don't put African Cichlids in with them,they will be killed for sure ;-) And how big is your tank ?

I have no idea what kind of cichlids to get. I was hoping there were species that went well in community tanks. If there is then that is the cichlid I will look to buy. Though sadly my pet store has a young cichlid tank just labeled assorted, so I can't tell which is which species. The tank I'm thinking about putting them in is 50 us gallons.

The rams and kribs are what you want then,not aggressive towards other community fish ? Just make sure you have some caves for the kribs ;-) the mixed cichlids sound like African cichlids mate,so stay away from them k

I appreciate the advice and will get the rams or kribs. I'm new to this site so I'm still looking at everything. By any chance do rams or kribs get put up for sale here?

You in the states yes ? Your LFS should hook you up mate,both are nice looking fish,try getting a pair of each,don't buy like two males ? They will show aggression towards each other k

Dean jones said:
Bolivian or German RAMS,KRIBS go well with other community fish ? Don't put African Cichlids in with them,they will be killed for sure ;-) And how big is your tank ?

Kribs are a type of African Cichlid

Most smaller dwarf cichlids like checkerboards, key holes, Rams, Apistos, Kribs would be suitable in this set up. I would only go with one pair. Choose a cichlid that's water requirements are close to the parameters of your current set up.

Just take note that rams do not get big like other cichlids. Not sure if you were looking for bigger fish or not.

I have no idea what kind of cichlids to get. I was hoping there were species that went well in community tanks. If there is then that is the cichlid I will look to buy. Though sadly my pet store has a young cichlid tank just labeled assorted, so I can't tell which is which species. The tank I'm thinking about putting them in is 50 us gallons.

LOL, I'll sum up a bit of what's been posted. I can see where it could be a bit confusin' for someone new to fish.

The assorted African cichlids are most likely African Rift Valley cichlids. Stay away from Rift Valley cichlids from Lakes Malawi, Tanganyika and Victoria for a community tank. The fish ya wanna look at for a community are calm South American and West African species.

Mogurako posted a good list in the previous post (checkerboards, keyholes, rams, apistos, kribs). "Apistos" refers to the group of dwarf cichlids of the genus Apistogramma; the best way to keep most of these is a ratio of one male to three females. Your store owner should be able to help ya pick 'em out by sex. Male keyholes will push 5" or so, but are very peaceful even at that size. Additional species which would go well but are less commonly seen in shops are dwarf flag cichlids of the genus Laetacara, Taeniacara candidi , the golden dwarf acara and other species in the genus Nannacara, and cupid cichlids. There are also a number of other species from both South America and West Africa that are suitable but only occassionally available. Angelfish are also cichlids, BTW.

Good luck to ya!

WYite

Thanks for all the info:) Sadly none of my three stores right around me have these species. Only the African Cichlids from the lakes you guys mentioned. There is one other place I can try 30 minutes away or so but if not I shall scour the classifieds until I find some. (y)

A frontosa are peaceful fish I had one with my oscars he didnt start nothing but wasnt a pushover. They get big and eat smaller fish.

2012-04-01 00.12.19-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom