compatibility question bumblebee/maingano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgodwin90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would p.crabro have a problem with p.cyanenorhabdos? My books don't cover the maingano as its a fairly new import.

I've never mixed the two, but I've kept bumblebees with Melanochromis interruptus, a very similarly colored species to the maingano, and never had any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to mix bumblebees and mainganos. Bumblebees can hold their own with most other mbuna species, IME, and mainganos have always seemed to be more mellow than most Melanochromis species in my tanks, but are no pushovers by any means. They seem to be most aggressive with other horizontally striped species. I'd definitely avoid any other Melanochromis in the tank with the maingano in there.

That combo would make a nice contrasting tank.

WYite

I have a johnnie spelling might be off that with 2 bees and there similar in color with no problem

I don't have that combo but I do have a male and female bee. My female poses no threats at all to anyone she is really calm. My male on the other hand gets along great with other Cichlids that leave him alone. For the non Cichlids he eats them or makes them understand not to mess with him. He also doesn't get along with my turtle. Now my turtle just stays away from him. You didn't say what size tank they are going to be in.?. So I'm not sure what to say. If your going to put a bee in a 6' tank more than likely they will be fine like mine. If you cram it into a small tank it may not go over well. From watching mine I've learned mine really just likes his space.

Now remember everyone's fish is different and the same goes for every tank. If it was me I wouldn't do it if its gonna be a small tank. There are a ton more prettier Af.Chiclids than the male bee. The female is a different story because it stays that nice bright yellow other than the male thats blackish. Just my opinion :)

tgodwin90 said:
O well... another excuse for a brand new tank :) I swear I have a problem.

I think your fine with adding a bee to your tank like I said I have 2 with other types of Africans with no problem

Back
Top Bottom