Compatibility question!! The Southern Egyptian (Nichol's) Mouthbrooder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyJimmy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
(Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae)

I know this fish isn't technically a chichlid however it is described as a 'dwarf chichlid'.

I was just wondering whether my Nichol's mouthbrooder will get on with my Blue Dwarf Gourami? I have introduced them and so far they follow each other round fairly passively and the Gourami just feels the mouthbrooder with his long feely things!

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416852286.970968.jpg My Gourami, Bernard!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416852579.320723.jpg My Nichol's Mouthbrooder, Nick!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awesome little fish there..that fish is a cichlid actually. A very cool one! Just the little fella?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just the one for now! The female that was with him in the shop isn't ready to be bought yet but I'm getting her in the next week or so!

Just the one for now! The female that was with him in the shop isn't ready to be bought yet but I'm getting her in the next week or so!

I'm not all that familiar with these fish but the second I saw your pic I read up real quick haha.. seems they can be a bit rough when they spawn, as with any dwarf cichlid really.. what size tank?

They seem really calm together, they just follow each other around! The mouthbrooder doesn't seem aggressive or distressed atm so :) the tank is a 63 litre tank.

That's just the thing... theyre pretty lax for the most part, it's just when they spawn they claim territory for the fry. In a tank that small they may very well kill everything..

So far he is very passive to the smaller fish and doesn't bother with them at all, I think this may be because he came from a community tank before the pet shop got him and he has been kept with the female and other smaller fish in the shop too.

So far he is very passive to the smaller fish and doesn't bother with them at all, I think this may be because he came from a community tank before the pet shop got him and he has been kept with the female and other smaller fish in the shop too.

That's good! Its just something to be watchful for is all.

I will keep an eye on him, thanks for the help!

By the way that is P. nicholsi not multicolor victoriae and they do get larger than than other members of the genus, my males topped out just over 4 inches so you may start to develop issues as he grows .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am planning on getting a larger tank in the new year so I should be able to facilitate any growth! He seems to be not eating my tropical fish flakes or the dried shrimp flakes I fed my betta. I have read they eat regular flakes and the pet store told me they eat regular flakes too, does anyone have any ideas of other food he will eat?

Back
Top Bottom