Compatible Algea Eaters in a Discus Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter905

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what fish I could use too keep algae under control in a discus tank?
I have had plecos before in other aquariums and it seems like they produce a TON of waste and since water quality will be a def. issue with my setup I'm lookin' for something a lil' less messy if ya know what I mean.

Also, it will have to be an algea eater that will be comfortable with higher tank tems. for the Discus
And, how many algea eaters should I house in a 75 gal.?

Dunno about temperature, or about discus compatibility (so in other words, I don't know much at all now that I think about it), but I am a big fan of cory cats. Even with my tank getting a little bit of direct sunlight each day (I know, a no-no, but I didn't realize it until it was set up and I don't want to move it now), I have never had the slightest bit of algae growth. I can only assume it is because my 3 cory cats keep everything in check. (This is in a 29 gal tank btw). They are also great at cleaning up any food (flakes, pellets, you name it) that makes its way to the bottom--they are true omnivores.

And as for waste, I have never seen them poop in my life. 8O I'm sure they do, lol, but they certainly don't seem like big waste producers to me.

Perhaps my only concern would be whether they would be too active for a discus tank...if I am not mistaken, discus like everything pretty calm, yes? While I have never seen or heard of a cory bothering any other fish, mine are almost constantly on the move.

Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in here; I've shared as much as I know. :)

P.S. -- If you do opt for corys, get 5 or 6. They are really a "schooling" fish and are happier in larger groups. My threesome is really too small, but I have a few water quality issues atm and don't want to introduce any more fish until I get things 100% stabilized. But once I do, I plan on adding a couple more corys. They have great personality!

JohnPaul, your right. Discus do require a rather calm tank so that will be an issue.

Can anyone else chime in? Would a school of 5 or 6 cories be ok? I need to be real picky with the tank mates for the Discus' sake!!

You've lots of options critter. Cories will definitely work. In my 125g discus tank I have 5 adult discus. Their tankmates are 3 large clown loaches, 6 dwarf ancistrus, 6 assorted dwarf cichlids, unknown #of otos, and 19 black neons. What's the size of your tank, and how many discus?

Brian,

I hace a 75 gal. tank that is in the middle of a fishless cycle, not ready for the Discus yet but I'm really looking forward to it.
How many do you suggest for that size tank? I was hoping for 5 or 6.
Also, if the cories would work I was hoping for around 5 or so
By the way, I am running two canister filters: one Magnum 350 and one Eheim 2026
And about 80 watts of normal output lighting.

You've got alot of filtration and that's good. Just remember that filtering doesn't mean you don't have to do water changes. The more discus you put in that tank, the more water you will need to change. Five should not be a problem at all, and 6 cories seem about right.

Have you picked out the discus yet? Will you be getting young ones or adults? I'm excited for you. :D

Attachments

• 2714pidgeon_blood-med_202.jpg
    2714pidgeon_blood-med_202.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 2714blue_diamonds-med.jpg
    2714blue_diamonds-med.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 172
I am going to be diffetn and say i think yo should buy a MagFloat To Clean The Walls Discus ar kinda delicate fish and Personally thats what i would do.Also u could add more Discus Instead Of An algea eater.

JMHO

Actually I already have a mag float,2 of them and I love em'.

Haven't decided which type of Discus yet. I would prefer young discus 3 1/2- 4".
Right now I'm not worried about breeding, that might come later on. I just want to make them healthy and happy.

Brian: My PH coming from the tap is 7.6, from what I have read this will be fine as long as it is stable, is that true?
Also, I have seen Discus trace elements to add to the water, is this necessary?
I would like to keep from adding as little as possible to the water but if I need it then I'll use it.
What about putting salt in the aquarium, do the Discus like a lil' salt?
Thanks in advance for all the help?

One more thing Brian: I haven't decided on the type of Discus to get yet but is there something you would recommend?

My discus spawn at a pH of 7.8. A stable pH is important so your KH should be at least 3.

Discus trace elements (and things like it), are needed if you are using RO water. If you're using straight tap it's likely the minerals contained are suitable.

I use aquarium salt only as a med. The salt doesn't bother the discus, but is best to use only when needed.

As far as what types of discus, I'd avoid any wild caught as they will be more finnicky. Try to stay away from any discus that's under 3 1/2 inches. The younger they are, the more fragile. If you buy them in a store, make sure you see them eat. Pick ones with plump foreheads and fins held high.

HTH

I tested my KH from the tap and it was at 5, but should I leave the tapwater sit out over night to get an accurate reading?

I apprecieate all of your insight. I want to do this right so I ask alot of questions and read alot as well.

Any other helpful info. you have will be greatly appreciated. Do you know of a good source of reading material for Discus on the web?

A KH of 5 is enough to keep your tank buffered and not have any pH swings. You should be fine with that.

Although I'm sure there's lot's of reading material on the web, I haven't found too much to be of assistance. FWIW, the best book I've found on discus is "Discus Health". I bought my copy through the Amazon link on this forum. Tons of useful info.

Thanks for all the input Brian. I'll pick the book up soon.

By the way, your Discus look amazing, hope mine turn out as well.

Back
Top Bottom