Compatible fish with discus ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xxokelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What fish are great with discus I'm getting 6 discus middle of March
I have a 90 gallon tank fluval fx5 filter getting new sponge for my filter, I have a heater temp will be at 88 , I'll be doing water changes twice a week with prime wil be having my ph kit usually my ph is at 7 should I bring it lower? Ammonia nitrate test kit I'll have , should I have medication on hand ?? Should I leave gravel in tank or take out what's easiest to keep the tank clean I'll be having my tank run with out fish for 3-4 weeks till I get my discus I want to make sure everything is perfect ! If there's anything else I need let me no thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners

Everything you need to know. Chances are from your other thread, your tank may not be fully cycled or you will experience a mini cycle since your going with a new filter. Substrate will
Depending on what size your getting and as well, fish size will dictate your WC schedule. Don't tamper with the pH !!!! Worst possible thing you could do. As I said before, you'd be best to call your supplier, explain the circumstances, and change the delivery date so you're absolutely positive your tank is cycled. A well trusted/reputable supplier would be happy to hold them for you. Also, the above link will be BEST at guiding you in regards to anything Discus related.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Iv mostly kept angel fish , crayfish , pleco , barbs, peacock cichlid, cat fish

What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings on the tank that you currently have running?

As of now I'm not sure I drained my tank to clean it !

What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings on the tank that you currently have running?

Discus Basics for Beginners

Everything you need to know. Chances are from your other thread, your tank may not be fully cycled or you will experience a mini cycle since your going with a new filter. Substrate will
Depending on what size your getting and as well, fish size will dictate your WC schedule. Don't tamper with the pH !!!! Worst possible thing you could do. As I said before, you'd be best to call your supplier, explain the circumstances, and change the delivery date so you're absolutely positive your tank is cycled. A well trusted/reputable supplier would be happy to hold them for you. Also, the above link will be BEST at guiding you in regards to anything Discus related.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

this may be one of those circumstances where we say all the right advice, but OP will refuse to listen to it and continue to harm their fish. I feel we are either being trolled or the OP is blatantly being ignorant and harming fish.

If you are going to post on the forum you should try to be helpful and answer the person's question. I would if I could, but I know nothing about discus.

If you are going to post on the forum you should try to be helpful and answer the person's question. I would if I could, but I know nothing about discus.

we have all tried to help OP, if you look in their thread last night they are clearly not ready for fish as their discus are extremely ill do to them cleaning the filter, and tank with tap water. This in turn caused a cycle harming the discus greatly. The OP then goes to state they have currently drained the tank and are washing it again...

Doobeedoobedooo
Op- I'd take great care in carefully reviewing all the info. Provided by some of the most experienced aquarist I've come to know...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There seems to be more and more of these "help my fish are dying" threads popping up lately, always down to cycling issues too :-/

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

I found the issue of why my discus where sick , my buddy that gave me the discus his fish were already sick and he didn't no then he gave me some of the discus witch were sick I didn't see any signs till it was to late ! And I'm not getting my discus from him im getting from a guy that has great healthy fish ! I'm not neglecting my fish I did everything that I was told ! I posted so people can Anwser my questions ! So when I get my fish in March that everything is perfect and good to go !

you still are cycling a tank with discus, still have discus " infected ", and are still showing some great ignorance.

as a wise man once said "it's your tank so do what you want " if that means harming fish then so be it

So if people or someone can Anwser my questions on my post that would be great !

you haven't told us your current stock. between this and your old thread you've bounced around so much. to successfully keep discus I would do a species only tank with lots of hiding place so the discus won't stress. 50% water changes every other day or more. that's all.

get your current discus healthy and fat before getting more stock.

imo rehome all your fish and cycle fishless. while you do that research a tonne on the needs of discus and their environment. everyone is more interested in the health of your fish then anything.

All my other fish all went to a new home ! So now I just have an empty tank until I get new discus in March !

I have nothing now! Ok and how long should I run my fish less cycle ? 3 weeks !?

So if people or someone can Anwser my questions on my post that would be great !

Answers have to be tailored to the people. Different answers for different people and we have to have more information to give you those answers which was never supplied. That is why you aren't getting answers. We never even got an answer to whether your tank was cycled or not. It's like going up to a stranger and asking them to tell you what your favorite food is.

As to your tank:

1. You blame the fish for dying. Even if your fish were mildly ill, if they were still eating then most likely they could have been saved by proper water keeping. 9 times out of 10 a fish dying is the fault of the aquarist.

2. How did you cycle your tank?

3. Stop cleaning things! Especially the filter. You're killing beneficial bacteria when you do.

4. Your last failure with discus, you didn't even know how to test the ammonia. I would put money on the fact that poor water parameters were the cause of poor water parameters.

5. Lastly, as for compatible fish; if you still insist on getting discus start with the discus only and get them healthy. Don't add any other fish until you get the rhythm of keeping other fish with discus.

Back
Top Bottom